What is the power factor of an RL circuit with given parameters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
hogrampage
Messages
107
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


See attachment.

Homework Equations


V(t) = Vmcos([itex]\omega[/itex]t + [itex]\theta[/itex])
P(t) = VmImcos([itex]\omega[/itex]t + [itex]\phi[/itex])cos[itex]\omega[/itex]t
PR(t) = [itex]\frac{V^{2}(t)}{R}[/itex]
PF = [itex]\frac{P}{V<sub>eff</sub>I<sub>eff</sub>}[/itex]
S = VeffIeff
Pavg = Ieff2(Re(Zeq)

The Attempt at a Solution


(a)
Ieff = 5 A
f = 50 Hz or [itex]\omega[/itex] [itex]\approx[/itex] 314 rad/s
Zeq = [itex]\frac{80(j60)}{80+j60}[/itex] = 28.8 + j38.4 Ω(48[itex]\angle[/itex]53° Ω)
V = (5[itex]\angle[/itex]0)(48[itex]\angle[/itex]53) = 240[itex]\angle[/itex]53.13010235° V
Pavg = (5)[itex]^{2}[/itex](28.8) = 720 W

PF = [itex]\frac{720}{1200}[/itex] = 0.6

(b)
Pavg = 720 W

(c)
PR(2 ms) = [itex]\frac{57600cos^{2}(314(0.002)+53°)}{80}[/itex] [itex]\approx[/itex] 253 W
-tan([itex]\frac{{\omega}L}{R}[/itex]) [itex]\approx[/itex] -36.85°
P(2 ms) = 1200cos(314(0.002)-36.85°)cos(314(0.002)) [itex]\approx[/itex] 968 W

PL(2 ms) = P(2 ms) - PR(2 ms) = 715 W

(d)
Have not done yet.

I want to know if I am going in the right direction or if I'm doing it all completely wrong haha. I don't want to do part (d) until I know the other parts are headed in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • imgPF.jpg
    imgPF.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The image is not appearing for me. Can you try to post it again?
 
It should show up now (attached to the first post).
 
(a) and (b) are correct. I haven't figured out what is being asked in (c). I read it as being asked to express instantaneous power as a function of time, specifically t - 2msec, but you seem to have read it as t = 2msec. Is precisely half of the equals sign missing?
 
Yeah, it is t = 2 ms. For some reason, it cut off half of it.