What is the proof of the formula L1 +pL2=0?

That <a, b> = <b, a>?If you do, then you should be able to see that if <a, b> = <c, d> then <a+p*c, b+p*d> = <a, b> + p*<c, d> = <c, d> + p*<c, d> = <c+p*c, d+p*d> but if <a, b> = <c, d> then <a, b> and <c, d> are perpendicular, so the family of lines defined by <a+p*c, b+p*d> = 0 are all parallel to <a, b> and <c, d>.If you don
1/2"

Homework Statement

This related to coordinate geometry.
According to my book it says if there are two intersecting lines L1(a1x+b1y+c1=0) and L2(a2x+b2y+c2=0)
Then equation of any line passing through their point of intersection is
L1 +p L2 =0
or (a1x+b1y+c1=0) +p(a2x+b2y+c2=0)=0
where p is some constant
my problem is that i don't understand what is the proof of this formula.Book also says that (a1x+b1y+c1=0) +p(a2x+b2y+c2=0)=0 represents a Family of lines , and i don't understand what it means too.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to use some arbitrary line equations and tried to simultaneously solve the equations
and get its point of intersection and find the line's equation but i can't relate these 2 methods
If k is such that it a1-p.a2=0 how does this proove these lines are concurrent and it equation is (a1x+b1y+c1=0) +p(a2x+b2y+c2=0)=0
book gives the proof as since this line satisfies some P(a,b) hence when we put it into the equation it will yield 0
But that comes only after i have proved this is the equation of all lines passing through common point ,how can this be a proof?

Could you please give me a proof of how this formula is derived?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a line Lp defined by, (a1x+b1y+c1) +p(a2x+b2y+c2)=0. Say that lines L1, L2 intersect at a point P, then P is both on L1 and on L2, thus a1*Px+b1*Py+c1 = 0 and a2*Px+b2*Py+c2 = 0. 0+p*0 = 0 so P is also on Lp. That's all there is to it.

A family of lines means that Lp is not any specific line. It could represent many different lines, if different values of p are used.

hamsterman said:
You have a line Lp defined by, (a1x+b1y+c1) +p(a2x+b2y+c2)=0. Say that lines L1, L2 intersect at a point P, then P is both on L1 and on L2, thus a1*Px+b1*Py+c1 = 0 and a2*Px+b2*Py+c2 = 0. 0+p*0 = 0 so P is also on Lp. That's all there is to it.

I already know if P satisfies L1 and L2 it is on line L1 and L2 because basically equation of line L1 and L2 is a condition & when we graph it we get a line.But what i am asking is HOW DO WE KNOW EQUATION OF LINES PASSING THROUGH A POINT CAN BE GIVEN BY (a1x+b1y+c1=0) +p(a2x+b2y+c2=0)=0
I WANT THE PROOF .

One more thing i found was if we add or subtract the equations of two intersecting lines the resultant line will be concurrent to the other two lines
And if it is correct(which i hope it is(!):redface:) then how can find if they are concurrent from their equations when the slope and the y-intercept always remains the same no matter which point on line we take.

In the line equation ax + by + c = 0, (a, b) is a normal of the line. Another way to write the same equation is <(a, b), (x, y)> = -c, where < , > is the scalar product. It follows from properties of < , > that if <p, q> = w then if you take any vector n, orthogonal to p, <p, q+n> is also = w.

Or was that not what you were asking again?
What I gave you is a valid proof that if L1 and L2 both contain P, then so does L1+p*L2. It is not necessary to derive a thing to prove it.

I don't understand!

You'll have to be more specific. Do you know what a normal is? A scalar product? That <a, b> = 0 if a and b are perpendicular? That <a+b, c> = (ax+bx)*cx + (ay+by)*cy = ax*cx + ay*cy + bx*cx + by*cy = <a, c> + <b, c>?

1. What is the meaning of L1 + pL2 = 0?

The formula L1 + pL2 = 0 is an equation used in physics and engineering to represent the principle of conservation of linear momentum. It states that the total linear momentum in a closed system is conserved, meaning it remains constant over time.

2. How is the formula L1 + pL2 = 0 derived?

The formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting the net force equal to zero and using the definition of momentum (p = mv), we can arrive at the formula L1 + pL2 = 0.

3. What is the significance of the L1 and L2 terms in the formula?

L1 and L2 represent the linear momentum of two different objects or systems. L1 refers to the initial linear momentum of one object, while pL2 represents the change in momentum of another object due to a force acting on it.

4. Can the formula L1 + pL2 = 0 be applied to all systems?

Yes, the formula can be applied to all isolated systems, meaning systems that do not interact with any external forces. This is because the principle of conservation of linear momentum holds true for all isolated systems.

5. How is the formula L1 + pL2 = 0 used in real-world applications?

The formula has numerous applications in physics and engineering, particularly in analyzing collisions and interactions between objects. It is also used in designing and analyzing rocket propulsion systems and in the study of fluid dynamics.