What is the propagation speed of a diffusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a characteristic velocity for diffusion in water simulations with SPH. The speaker plans to estimate this value by determining the propagation speed of a diffusion wave, but is confused by conflicting sources that mention either an infinite or finite speed of sound as a reference. It is then explained that diffusion is not a wave and is described by the diffusion equation. The conversation ends with a formula for estimating the range of diffusion using the Gaussian function.
SirVuk
Hello everybody!

For my water in nanoscaled-pores simulations with SPH I need a value for the characteristic velocity.
My planned approach is to estimate this value by attaining the propagation speed of a diffusion wave.
But I have problems with understanding this process since I find some sources talking about an infinite speed of sound as reference for the propagation speed, while others say that it is a finite value.

Could somebody please help me out of this? :)

Likes Realbaze
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a characteristic speed for diffusion if you do not somehow set a length or time scale. The reason for this is that diffusion is not a wave. It is described by the diffusion equation ##\partial_t u - D\nabla^2 u = \kappa##, where ##\kappa## represents a source term and ##D## is the diffusivity, which has units of length^2/time.

Orodruin said:
There is no such thing as a characteristic speed for diffusion if you do not somehow set a length or time scale. The reason for this is that diffusion is not a wave. It is described by the diffusion equation ##\partial_t u - D\nabla^2 u = \kappa##, where ##\kappa## represents a source term and ##D## is the diffusivity, which has units of length^2/time.
ok thanks

but is there a general equation explaining with which speed a diffusion front propagates?

There is no well-defined front, but if you look at a fixed concentration, you can determine where this is reached when. You'll find that its propagation slows down over time, so there is no characteristic speed either.

There is no such thing as 'diffusional wave'. Diffusion is the result of Brownian motion.
However, there is a formula to that is quite useful in estimating the range of the diffusion. Essentially, it is a solution of the diffusion equation; Gaussian function.
The (squared) width of the Gaussian is given by ##\sigma ^2 = 2 Dt##
It is quite useful in estimating the effects of the diffusion given the time and the dimensional scales.

What is the propagation speed of a diffusion?

The propagation speed of a diffusion refers to the rate at which particles move and spread out in a medium. It is a measure of how quickly a substance diffuses from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

What factors affect the propagation speed of a diffusion?

The propagation speed of a diffusion can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration gradient, molecular weight, and the properties of the medium (such as viscosity and density).

How is the propagation speed of a diffusion calculated?

The propagation speed of a diffusion can be calculated using Fick's laws of diffusion, which take into account factors such as the concentration gradient, diffusion coefficient, and the distance over which diffusion occurs.

What is the relationship between temperature and propagation speed of a diffusion?

Generally, an increase in temperature leads to an increase in diffusion rate and therefore a higher propagation speed. This is because higher temperatures increase the kinetic energy of particles, allowing them to move more quickly and spread out faster.

Can the propagation speed of a diffusion be altered?

Yes, the propagation speed of a diffusion can be altered by changing the conditions in which diffusion occurs. For example, by changing the temperature or concentration gradient, the diffusion rate can be increased or decreased, thus affecting the propagation speed.