What is the purpose of radius of gyration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
TheBlueDot
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
Hello,

I'm given a problem of a mass rolling down an incline with mass 'm', radius 'r', and radius of gyration Rg, and I need to write the Lagrangian for the motion. I'm confused on why both r and Rg are given. Don't I just need one of the two for the moment of inertia?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The radius of gyration gives the moment of inertia via the equivalence of the given object and an object with all its mass concentrated at a distance of the radius of gyration from the center of mass. So [itex]I = m R_g^2[/itex].

You can treat the object as a massless cylinder of the given physical radius with a hollow cylinder of mass m and radius [itex]R_g[/itex] embedded within it.
 
Hi jambaugh,

Thank you for your response. The part I'm confused on is if I use Rg the moment of inertia (assume a cylinder) would be I= mRg^2, but if I use 'r', then I=1/2 *mr^2. I guess I don't understand where the question is leading...
 
Why would [itex]I = \frac{m}{2} r^2[/itex]? Is [itex]R_g[/itex] given to be equal to [itex]r/\sqrt{2}[/itex]? Did the problem specifically say the object was a solid disk or cylinder? Maybe the object is not what you are assuming with the [itex]\frac{m}{2}r^2[/itex] formula.