Power Series & Function f(x): Purpose & Explanation

• Thread starter BarringtonT
  • Start date
In summary: Power series! I learned a lot from the post. In summary, power series can be very useful for calculating functions and for approximating a function by a finite sum of simpler functions.
BarringtonT
so recently I have learned how to convert a function f(x) into a Power series, but I am still lost as to why I did that in first place? Explain this please.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very useful for a lot of things. One way that it is useful is to calculate functions.
For example, how do you calculate [itex]\sin(1)[/itex] (1 radians, not 1 degrees)?? You can plug it in your calculator, sure. But how did your calculator found the answer to the problem? Or how would you do this without a calculator?? This problem becomes easy once you know about series. Then you know that

[tex]\sin(1)=1-\frac{1^3}{3!}+\frac{1^5}{5!}+...[/tex]

This is an infinite series, so you can't find the exact sum. However, if you take the first 3 or 4 terms then you already got a good approximation. This is one very efficient way to calculate function values.

I believe that the most important reason is to be able to approximate a function by a finite sum of much simpler functions. Keep in mind that the mathematics of power series that was developed by Taylor and Maclaurin predates electronic calculators and computers by many years. Using a Taylor series it's possible to approximate sin(31°), for example, by nothing more complicated than ordinary arithmetic operations.

Although calculators don't actually use Taylor or Maclaurin series to perform calculations, they use something that is similar - CORDIC (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CORDIC).

Taylor and Maclaurin series (a Maclaurin series is a special case of the more general Taylor series) are probably the simplest kinds of series, as they involve sums of powers of, say x(Maclaurin) or sums of powers of x - a (Taylor). Other series can involve terms that involve cos(x), sin(x), cos(2x), sin(2x), cos(3x), sin(3x), and so on (Fourier), rather than powers of some variable. Fourier series have applications in electronics.

Expanding a function into its power series also helps you do some calculations. For instance, consider the contour integral
[tex]\oint_{C}\frac{\sin(z) dz}{z^4}[/tex]
where the contour C is the unit circle. Expanding sine into its Taylor series gives us the contour integral
[tex]\oint_{C} z^{-3}-\frac{z^{-1}}{6}+\frac{z}{120}... dz[/tex]
The integral now collapses to a much simpler form. Recall that
[tex]n\neq -1 \rightarrow \oint_{C} z^{n} dz = 0[/tex]
This eliminates all terms of the sum but one, and gives us the much simpler contour integral
[tex]\oint_{C} -\frac{dz}{6z}=-\frac{\pi i}{3}[/tex]
Of course, there is a way to evaluate this integral using the residue theorem, but it is somewhat tedious when you can perform the series expansion.

Thank you guys

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑(an(x-c)n), where an is a sequence of constants and c is a fixed number. It represents a function as an infinite sum of powers of x.

2. How is a power series useful in mathematics?

Power series are useful in mathematics because they can be used to approximate and represent functions that are otherwise difficult to work with. They can also be used to find solutions to differential equations and to evaluate integrals.

3. What is the purpose of a function f(x)?

The purpose of a function f(x) is to map inputs (x-values) to outputs (y-values). It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used to model relationships between variables and to solve problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are some common examples of functions f(x)?

Some common examples of functions f(x) include linear functions (y = mx + b), quadratic functions (y = ax^2 + bx + c), trigonometric functions (sin(x), cos(x), tan(x)), and exponential functions (y = e^x).

5. How can power series be used to approximate a function?

Power series can be used to approximate a function by adding up the first few terms of the series. As more terms are added, the approximation becomes more accurate. This is especially useful for functions that cannot be easily integrated or differentiated, as it allows for simpler calculations and solutions.