What Is the Radius of the n = 6 Bohr Orbit in O7+?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayfieca
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
rayfieca
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the radius of the n = 6 Bohr orbit in O7+(oxygen with 7 of its 8 electrons removed).
A) 190 pm B) 167 pm C) 238 pm D) 214 pm


Homework Equations



I believe that the relevant equation is
r(sub n)=(n^2)*a(sub b) where a(sub b)= Bohr's radius= 5.29*10^-11 m

The Attempt at a Solution


I calculated it for what I believed to be n=6, but I got an incorrect answer. The correct answer is (C) 238 pm, but I do not understand why.


Any help is greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is not quite complete. You need to take into account the charge in the nucleus (so the number of protons).
 
Welcome to PF :smile:

Your equation is for hydrogen, with a charge of +1 on the nucleus.
Since oxygen has a charge of Z=8 for the nucleus, that equation should be different, containing Z somehow.

Does your textbook discuss "hydrogen-like" or "hydrogenic" ions?

EDIT: ah, I should know better than to wait a 1/2 hour and then respond without refreshing the page. :redface:
 
Unfortunately,
I cannot find an equation that takes into account (Z). Anyone have the equation handy?
Thanks for all your help!