Solving Bohr Atom Problem (Qs a-e)

• Thread starter StillAnotherDave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom Bohr
In summary, the question is asking if you can't remove an electron from a certain energy level, and the answer is no.
StillAnotherDave
Homework Statement
Help with parts (c) and (e)
Relevant Equations
Given in the screenshot
1583324443717.png

Hello folks,

I've managed questions (a) and (b) but don't get what to do with part (c). Normally you would equate the velocity equations v2=e2/4πεmr=(n2h2)/(m2r2 ). This let's you isolate the radius and use it to calculate En. But I can't see how you could do this for v given in (a) and (b).

Also, part (e). If En = E1n then the energy levels simply scale linearly ... that can't be right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. I managed to solve part (c) by isolating r2.

But part (e) is still unclear ...

StillAnotherDave said:
Okay. I managed to solve part (c) by isolating r2.

But part (e) is still unclear ...
Remember, this is not a "real"atom where electric force acts between the proton and electron. You derived that En = Ein .Are those energy levels equidistant?

They would be linear (equidistant) and positive - i.e. n=1 is 1eV; n=2 is 2eV; n=3 is 3eV ... is that correct?

But wouldn't n = ∞ need to be 0eV?

It makes the remaining parts of the question (f) and (g) very confusing:

1583331082927.png

Last edited:
Clearly this is ludicrous ... help!

StillAnotherDave said:
They would be linear (equidistant) and positive - i.e. n=1 is 1eV; n=2 is 2eV; n=3 is 3eV ... is that correct?
Yes.

StillAnotherDave said:
But wouldn't n = ∞ need to be 0eV?
The choice of zero of energy is arbitrary. For the hydrogen atom, the ionization limit (separated particles) is often chosen as the 0, but this is arbitrary. One could also take the ground state to be 0.

Okay ... so for question (f), could photons not be emitted for any energy multiple of E1? And how would the ionisation energy be determined?

StillAnotherDave said:
Okay ... so for question (f), could photons not be emitted for any energy multiple of E1?
Yes.

StillAnotherDave said:
And how would the ionisation energy be determined?
How is it determined for the hydrogen atom?

The lowest energy level, n=1 at E1 is given as 1.0 eV ... so that would be the ionisation energy?

Okay ... so for question (f), could photons not be emitted for any energy multiple of E1?

DrClaude said:
Yes.

But this doesn't seem to make sense for a 3 mark question ...

StillAnotherDave said:
The lowest energy level, n=1 at E1 is given as 1.0 eV ... so that would be the ionisation energy?
No. Again, how is the ionization energy calculated in hydrogen?

StillAnotherDave said:
But this doesn't seem to make sense for a 3 mark question ...
I'm not responsible the grading scheme :smile:. I guess some explanation is expected.

Ionisation works by removing an electron from it's most outer bound shell ... but if the energy is increasing as En=E1n then essentially you're saying you can't remove the electron ... ?

As far as I understand ionization energy, it depends on which state the electron is in.

You're almost there, so I'll give you the answer. The ionization energy is the difference in energy between the last bound state and the ground state. Here, you have
$$
\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} E_n = \infty
$$
so it is impossible to remove the electron.

By the way, you are basically creating a model for the harmonic oscillator, which indeed has no limit in energy for bound states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator

Q: What is the Bohr Atom Problem?

The Bohr Atom Problem refers to the discrepancy between classical physics and quantum mechanics in explaining the behavior of electrons in an atom. Classical physics predicted that electrons should continuously emit energy and spiral into the nucleus, but this was not observed in experiments.

Q: How did Niels Bohr solve the Bohr Atom Problem?

Niels Bohr proposed a new model of the atom in 1913, known as the Bohr model, which incorporated the principles of quantum mechanics. He proposed that electrons can only exist in discrete energy levels and can jump between these levels by absorbing or emitting energy. This explained why electrons do not spiral into the nucleus.

Q: What is the equation for calculating the energy levels in the Bohr model?

The equation is E = -13.6/n^2, where E is the energy level, n is the principal quantum number, and -13.6 is a constant value representing the energy of the ground state of a hydrogen atom. This equation only applies to single-electron systems, such as hydrogen.

Q: What is the significance of the Bohr model in understanding the atom?

The Bohr model was a significant breakthrough in understanding the atom and laid the foundation for modern quantum mechanics. It helped explain the stability of atoms and the emission and absorption spectra of elements. It also led to the development of the Schrödinger equation, which is the foundation of quantum mechanics.

Q: Are there any limitations to the Bohr model?

Yes, the Bohr model is limited in its applicability and only accurately describes the behavior of single-electron systems. It does not take into account the wave-like nature of electrons and cannot explain the behavior of multi-electron atoms. It was also later replaced by more advanced models, such as the quantum mechanical model of the atom.