What is the reality of finding a perfect partner?

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary, Men and women differ in what they are willing to give up in order to have a happy relationship. Men are usually willing to give up some things that are important to them, such as free will, while women are usually willing to give up things that are not important to them, such as friendships with other people.
TheStatutoryApe said:
I try to. I used to tell one of my exs that she was beautiful all the time. She would always just roll her eyes at me and tell me that she looked terrible. Then one day she said to me that some guy at her work had complimented her that day, that he tends to do that, and how much she really likes it when she's out or at work and some one compliments her, almost as if she were hinting that I didn't do so. That really depressed me and after that I felt like an idiot when ever I thought to compliment her.
Are you saying these things in a playful manner or in a serious way? Maybe it's just me but I take a lot better to compliments that are not meant to be too serious. It means a lot more when my female lab partner says something like "I want the samples, and your ass" than when my real girlfriend says some corny thing about me being handsome (maybe it's just this term that gets me). I want my girl to love me, not just be attracted to me. Your girlfriend probably felt the same way about your complimenting her looks.

Lisa, as far as I know cute is a combination of personality and looks; usually with a kind of fun attitude, and this applies to both sexes. The sexy girl who gets along really well with the guys is cute. The girl who looks like paris hilton is not cute.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa! said:
I still can't understand something! What do you mean when you say someone's cute? Is it more about appearance or peronality and attitude?

Its like when someone says they're in love. Doesn't mean much at all.

Cynicism aside, it differs.

loseyourname said:
This might sound offensive at first, but Rachel here falls into the category of otherwise attractive but not girlfriend material prima facie. She seems great, but frankly her hangups and insecurities and all that scare me away. I've had too many mental cases and am extremely wary at this point.
Well, it's very scary asking this, but are the hangups, insecurities, and such that you're referring to only the ones regarding dating, men, and such -- the stuff I'm talking about in this thread? There are things in other areas of my life that I wish weren't so and want to change, but I'm not sure how much criticism I could take at once. If you want to point out specific things, that might be helpful. They might be things that I would agree I should change and just haven't noticed or wanted to face (this is where the scariness comes in).
And this might sound defensive at first, but I am working on it.
I guess my constructive point here is that I think it is actually a very good idea for her to be taking things as she is; just start out as friends and if things advance from there, so be it. Provided she isn't physically repulsive or anything (I doubt it, but hey, I've never seen her), I'd probably want her, but my better senses would tell me to hold off until she had proven herself. Maybe it's best that she take the same approach to guys, because I get the impression that it'll take a rather rare breed to really have any shot with her. Not that she strikes me as difficult or anything, but she doesn't seem very easily impressed, and she's obviously not one of those women that'll just cling to whatever the wind blows in. Go ahead and be picky.
Hm, I think we would fight a lot unless our 'styles' changed. I mean, I sometimes allow myself to be too uncomfortable in order to avoid making others uncomfortable, and you don't seem to worry too much about that. I've been working on correcting that, but I'm not sure I would want to end up where you are; I think you might not worry enough about others' comfort for my taste. I haven't figured out the right approach yet. For example, I think my not using smileys in this post because I know you don't like them is reasonable, but perhaps I'm wrong. I'm just saying... it seems like one of those things that could cause a lot of friction. (And not the good kind either.)
What the hell kind of guys are in Tampa, anyway? Is that in a decent part of Florida, or is it redneck territory?
We have paved roads and all that jazz. It's a fairly large city, I guess. I don't know about the men. Last time I checked (a very long time ago), there were all kinds of men. I don't know why I'd confine myself to Tampa Bay though.

Thanks for your opinion, by the way. :smile: (Haha, that smiley was just habit. But now I'm leaving it there as an experiment.)

Last edited:
franznietzsche said:
Its not the compliments that she likes, its the feeling of status. Compliments are irrelevant, and pointless. There are far better ways to demonstrate respect and affection that don't make you come out losing like a nice guy.

This is because compliments are cheap words. It takes very little effort to say something nice about a person (unless you actually have a modicum of honor and honesty). It is much, much harder to actually mean it usually. Cheap words are not an effective way of showing anything.
Some truth in that. The problem is how to tell a sincere compliment from insincere flattery.

So what's the ideal form of communication? How does one tell the other that one really finds the other attractive? Or more importantly, how to tell another that one appreciates him or her?

For me, I simply say what I mean (although I might not find the right words, which has caused problems in the past), and I mean what I say. :smile:

loseyourname said:
I have to say that Monique is the only one on this forum that I would even think to call "cute." Although Moonbear's no-nonsense handling of mud-covered pigs and other farm animals is pretty damn sexy, for whatever reason.
I thought the swine reference would be to SOS2008.
loseyourname said:
She seems great, but frankly her hangups and insecurities and all that scare me away.
Everyone has hangups, insecurities or issues. We pick that up through life, especially from families from observation of the parents/grandparents/aunt & uncles and their relationships, and from siblings, and from prior relationships.
From my perspective, I like the way hrw thinks.
loseyourname said:
. . . . it is actually a very good idea for her to be taking things as she is; just start out as friends and if things advance from there, so be it. Provided she isn't physically repulsive or anything (I doubt it, but hey, I've never seen her), I'd probably want her, but my better senses would tell me to hold off until she had proven herself. Maybe it's best that she take the same approach to guys, because I get the impression that it'll take a rather rare breed to really have any shot with her. Not that she strikes me as difficult or anything, but she doesn't seem very easily impressed, and she's obviously not one of those women that'll just cling to whatever the wind blows in. Go ahead and be picky.
I agree, and by all means - be very picky. :biggrin:

Seriously, if one is looking to find another for a long term meaningful relationship, particluarly marriage in which one might have children, then one must choose careful and be very picky.

Ah, this is going to drive me crazy. I need to know what I did! C'mon, think! Think! This info could really come in handy.
I think, if it makes sense, that this thread made me recognize you as a girl. Until that point, I knew you were female, but only thought of you only as a person, with no regard to gender.

Thanks, Shawn and franznietzsche!:smile: Some how I was afraid of using this word where it's not appropriate.

I love how people talk about me liked I'm day old chopped liver. News flash...I can read these posts people! :devil: Thanks guys. I have the memory of an elephant. I won't forget this. :mad: :wink:

The doctor says that after the surgery the hump on my back won't be nearly as noticeable and with special shoes, I won't waddle nearly as much.

You guys have no idea what a knockout MIH is, she sent me a picture recently of her and her coworkers at a restaurant. HOLY MOLY, she's GORGEOUS! The Barbie avatars don't do her justice.

Last edited:
Things like being cute or attractive are not synonymous with things like being pretty, or beautiful. :-p

Hurkyl said:
Things like being cute or attractive are not synonymous with things like being pretty, or beautiful. :-p
Nice save! :smile:

Hurkyl said:
I think, if it makes sense, that this thread made me recognize you as a girl. Until that point, I knew you were female, but only thought of you only as a person, with no regard to gender.
Oh, I was only kidding. Thanks for thinking about it. :smile: I sometimes just notice that someone is kinda cute too. The funniest one was arildno. One day my brain just sent me the little message, "hey, he's kinda cute", and the very next day he started his 'Realizing you're gay' thread. :smile:

Hey, can anyone suggest a female equivalent of guy? Boy and girl both refer to children; men and women to adults; but guy, which I tend to use in casual conversation for adult males, especially friends or ones around my age, doesn't seem to have a partner that people use. I guess gal would work, but I don't really like it. It's not cool enough. :biggrin: I don't assume people mean any disrespect by using girl or anything; it's just the ambiguity and guy not having a counterpart that bothers me. What's a good term for a female guy?

honestrosewater said:
What's a good term for a female guy?
It's gal. As in "guys 'n gals". :smile: Sorry, but that's the only polite word. I know, "gal" sounds cowboy.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
Hey, can anyone suggest a female equivalent of guy? Boy and girl both refer to children; men and women to adults; but guy, which I tend to use in casual conversation for adult males, especially friends or ones around my age, doesn't seem to have a partner that people use. I guess gal would work, but I don't really like it. It's not cool enough. :biggrin: I don't assume people mean any disrespect by using girl or anything; it's just the ambiguity and guy not having a counterpart that bothers me. What's a good term for a female guy?
At risk of Russ giving me a hard time again...

gal seems to be the only counterpart to guy, but, yeah, it never sounds right. Maybe just because people don't use it much, so it sounds funny when you do hear it (I think of some waitress from Flo's Diner when I hear someone calling people "gals"). Oh, wait, isn't it Guys and Dolls? :biggrin: :smile: Well, I think we just should come up with our own term since there isn't a decent sounding one. How about omnipotent goddesses? :approve: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Oh, wait, isn't it Guys and Dolls? :biggrin: :smile:
:smile: Yeah, but I wasn't expecting a doll to bring that up.
Well, I think we just should come up with our own term since there isn't a decent sounding one. How about omnipotent goddesses? :approve: :biggrin:
Maybe one that guys can spell would be better? :-p

Evo said:
You guys have no idea what a knockout MIH is, she sent me a picture recently of her and her coworkers at a restaurant. HOLY MOLY, she's GORGEOUS! The Barbie avatars don't do her justice.

private message it to me. i'd like to see gorgeous

honestrosewater said:
Maybe one that guys can spell would be better? :-p
Oh, that limits things. I guess that puts us back to gals. *ducks and runs*

The_Professional said:
don't get too excited. By "gorgeous" Evo simply means "not completely hideous or showing physical disfigurements that would cause small children to cry and run away".

Boy and girl both refer to children;
I'm of the opinion that at least "girl" has long progressed past simply referring to children. All the other terms I can imagine just don't sound right. e.g. "woman" and "female" both sound too formal, and "gal" just sounds odd.

I know a girl who uses the word "boys" extensively, the way people use "girl". It sounds perfectly normal coming from her.

The_Professional said:
Why the PM? It's already posted on the Internet. MIH and the gang
Math Is Hard is definitely hot, but the guys in the picture scare me.

BobG said:

yea, especially the one holding a severed head.

Hurkyl said:
I'm of the opinion that at least "girl" has long progressed past simply referring to children. All the other terms I can imagine just don't sound right. e.g. "woman" and "female" both sound too formal, and "gal" just sounds odd.
I know a girl who uses the word "boys" extensively, the way people use "girl". It sounds perfectly normal coming from her.
Well, we've had this particular conversation at length before, and I'm not crazy enough to get into it again. The only thing I'll comment on is calling women "females." I don't mean in a clinical setting "Sex of patient: female", but in referring to an actual person informally. I've heard it from a few people recently and it sounds so strange. It's a bit too cold and impersonal sounding to hear, "I met this female at the bar last night..." I just end up wondering if they were trying to actually meet people for social reasons or if they were conducting a research study. Anyway, since I've heard a few people say it, I'm wondering if it's something that's gaining usage, or do I just hang out around strange people? They aren't all from this local area originally, so it's unlikely to be a local usage.

BobG said:
Oh, cool! It's me and Moonbear. But yeah, who are those gay guys in the back seat? Moonbear, I don't remember that outing, do you? :confused: I musta been hammered after a night at Tiki Bar or something.

Moonbear said:
Well, we've had this particular conversation at length before, and I'm not crazy enough to get into it again. The only thing I'll comment on is calling women "females." I don't mean in a clinical setting "Sex of patient: female", but in referring to an actual person informally. I've heard it from a few people recently and it sounds so strange. It's a bit too cold and impersonal sounding to hear, "I met this female at the bar last night..." I just end up wondering if they were trying to actually meet people for social reasons or if they were conducting a research study. Anyway, since I've heard a few people say it, I'm wondering if it's something that's gaining usage, or do I just hang out around strange people? They aren't all from this local area originally, so it's unlikely to be a local usage.

so what would be a more appropriate term for you? if let's say a guy is on a date with you. would you rather him say women, ladies or the opposite sex :)

Math Is Hard said:
don't get too excited. By "gorgeous" Evo simply means "not completely hideous or showing physical disfigurements that would cause small children to cry and run away".
She lies! I think I'll sell the picture on e-bay. "Hot brainy woman eats food". I'll start the bids at $500.

quit teasing

I don't know how many of you are into geocaching, but this is just plain wrong. :smile:

Bimbo Barbie

She's been traveling from cache to cache since February of 2002.

Edit: You have to at least check out the photos from New Year's Day, 2004.

Last edited:
The_Professional said:
so what would be a more appropriate term for you? if let's say a guy is on a date with you. would you rather him say women, ladies or the opposite sex :)
Women works for me. Depending on context, ladies is okay too, like if he walks up to a group of women and asks, "Do any of you ladies need another drink while I'm heading up to the bar?" But there are still times when "ladies" sounds funny...not really offensive or anything, just odd. You can't just replace "guys" in a sentence with "ladies" every time and have it work, so it's not exactly the perfect counterpart either.

Math Is Hard said:
Oh, cool! It's me and Moonbear. But yeah, who are those gay guys in the back seat? Moonbear, I don't remember that outing, do you? :confused: I musta been hammered after a night at Tiki Bar or something.
No, I don't remember it at all! :bugeye: I don't mind having Arildno along with us, but the one holding that head is a bit creepy. I think he must have slipped something into our drinks.

Woah! An unsolicited bid for a Moonbear picture just came in offering me $1,000!

All righty then. :approve:

Evo, dusts off her Sisterhood picture collection. Any more offers?

There does happen to be a pic up of MIH in the member photo thread you know.
There also happens to be a very cute pic of Rose though a more recent one would definitely be nice to see.

hmmm maybe the threat of banning will be enough if you don't upload the photos? :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm maybe the threat of banning will be enough if you don't upload the photos? :biggrin:
I'm immune to such threats. Like Tribdog, I am practically a PF Institution!

Please don't hurt me.

franznietzsche said:
I'm immune to such threats. Like Tribdog, I am practically a PF Institution!

Please don't hurt me.

You have thy photo!?

So what's happened to PF dating service? Valentine's day is near!
note that I'm not available!o:)

Greg Bernhardt said:
You have thy photo!?
I have photos of me yes, but i have refused to upload them thus far.