What is the Relationship Between Electric Field and Force on a Charged Particle?

• B
  • Thread starter ewimmenauer
  • Start date
In summary, this is a problem in electrostatics that asks for the force acting on a point with a known charge.
ewimmenauer
I came across a problem that I am trying to study for
It contained Vertical lines 30 V, 40 V, and 50 V. It had a point on 40 V and said they were .03 m apart. It asked for the Force acting on the point. Can anyone explain how to solve or tell me what kind of problem this is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that it's a problem in electrostatics. Does the problem ask for the force acting on the point or on the point charge? It makes a difference ...

Likes berkeman
I can not remember. Thats the problem.

ewimmenauer said:
I can not remember. Thats the problem.

Let me understand the situation correctly. You are trying to solve a problem that you can't remember. Is that what is happening here?

Zz.

Likes Asymptotic, davenn and russ_watters
I teach math and have little background in physics. I took the content test to teach physics. Did not pass. Going to take it again and I am trying to remember certain questions I struggled with. Can you help me now or do you need more explanation?

ewimmenauer said:
Can you help me now or do you need more explanation?
no we cannot ... we need to know the exact question that you were asked in the test,
not your vague remembrance of it.
How else do you expect us to give a sensible answer ?D

ewimmenauer said:
I teach math and have little background in physics. I took the content test to teach physics. Did not pass. Going to take it again and I am trying to remember certain questions I struggled with. Can you help me now or do you need more explanation?

Besides the fact that this is all very vague, it is also posted in the wrong forum. So no, I’m not touching this at all.

Zz.

The force will depend on the charge of the particle. Is it an electron (negative) charge, a proton (positive) charge, a neutron (zero charge), or an alpha particle (+2 Charge), etc.

You could probably infer the field strength from the separation between the lines (0.03 m). The charge difference between consecutive lines is 10 V. the separation is 0.03 m. It is natural to infer that the E-field will be 10 V / 0.03 m or 333 Volts per meter. The trouble is if you do not know the charge, you cannot get the force from the field strength. Best to brush up on some elementary electrostatics.

Related to What is the Relationship Between Electric Field and Force on a Charged Particle?

1. What is the definition of a problem in a scientific context?

In science, a problem is a question or issue that requires investigation and analysis in order to be solved or understood. It can be a discrepancy between observed data and existing theories, a gap in knowledge, or a practical challenge that needs to be addressed.

2. How do scientists classify different types of problems?

Scientists classify problems into different categories based on their characteristics and the methods used to solve them. Some common types of problems in science include experimental problems, theoretical problems, and applied problems.

3. What is an experimental problem?

An experimental problem is a type of problem that involves designing and conducting experiments to test a hypothesis or answer a research question. These problems often require the collection and analysis of data to reach a conclusion.

4. What is a theoretical problem?

A theoretical problem is a type of problem that involves using existing theories and models to explain or predict a phenomenon. These problems often require mathematical or computational methods to solve and may involve developing new theories or modifying existing ones.

5. How do scientists approach solving problems?

Scientists typically use the scientific method to approach and solve problems. This involves identifying a problem, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. They may also collaborate with other scientists and use a variety of tools and techniques to solve problems.