What is the relationship between solar radiation intensity and lunar phases?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
charlie05
Messages
128
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement


What is the intensity of solar radiation in a place where is the full moon ?

I know luminosity of the Sun and Earth's distance from the Sun RE and Moon´s distance from the Earth RM. Trajectory of Earth and Moon are circular.

Homework Equations


distance of the site from the sun is d = RE + RM

The Attempt at a Solution


Radiation intensity decreases with the square of the distance.
Intensity of radiation is amount of radiant power per unit area
 
Physics news on Phys.org
charlie05 said:

Homework Statement


What is the intensity of solar radiation in a place where is the full moon ?

I know luminosity of the Sun and Earth's distance from the Sun RE and Moon´s distance from the Earth RM. Trajectory of Earth and Moon are circular.

Homework Equations


distance of the site from the sun is d = RE + RM

The Attempt at a Solution


Radiation intensity decreases with the square of the distance.
Intensity of radiation is amount of radiant power per unit area
Sorry, your problem statement didn't translate very well. Is there a diagram associated with this question? Are they asking what is the intensity of sunlight at the combined distance Re + Rm? As if you were on the Moon and the Earth was nearly between the Moon and the Sun?
 
sorry for my bad English :-(
I think - full Moon - position is Sun - Earth - Moon
in full Moon - Earth is between the Sun and Moon ...and distance between the Sun and the Moon is the sum of Earth's distance from the Sun RE and Moon´s distance from the Earth RM. At this distance I have to calculate solar radiation intensity.
 
charlie05 said:
sorry for my bad English :-(
I think - full Moon - position is Sun - Earth - Moon
in full Moon - Earth is between the Sun and Moon ...and distance between the Sun and the Moon is the sum of Earth's distance from the Sun RE and Moon´s distance from the Earth RM. At this distance I have to calculate solar radiation intensity.
Okay, makes sense. :smile:

So it sounds like you have all the information you need to do the calculation. You said you have the radiant intensity at the Earth's surface, right? And you know the intensity decreases with the square of the distance. So can you show us how you would calculate the lower intensity when you add in the extra distance to the Moon?
 
I know only luminosity of Sun...3,827.10 26 W...but maybe I do not to calculate from this information...
but I think, I can find the radiant intensity at the Earth's surface in some tables... IE = 1360 W/m2

IE/IM = RE2 / ( RE + RM )2
 
charlie05 said:
IE = 1360 W/m2
That looks about right -- I always remember that it's about 1kW/m^2 at the Earth.
charlie05 said:
IE/IM = RE2 / ( RE + RM )2
That doesn't look quite right to me. Remember that the intensity is proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance. Intensity gets lower the farther away you get... :smile:
 
charlie05 said:
conversely... :-)
IM/IE = RE2 / ( RE + RM )2
Yeah, that looks better. What answer do you get? Can you show your work?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: charlie05
RE = 150.106 km
RM = 384.103 km
IE = 1360 W/m2

IM = 1353 W/m2 ?
 
charlie05 said:
RE = 150.106 km
RM = 384.103 km
IE = 1360 W/m2

IM = 1353 W/m2 ?
Looks good to me. Do you have a way to check the answer? Is the value of the intensity at the Earth a standard value that you got from your class or textbook?
 
value on Earth I found my physical tables..solar irradiance
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
thank you very much for your help :-)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman