Solar Constant: Earth's Receiving Intensity

In summary: So, is 1380 Wm-2 received at every point on Earth or the Earth itself receives 1380 Wm-2?In summary, the power radiated by the sun spreads out as a sphere with a radius equal to 1 AU. To find the intensity, we divide the power radiated by the surface area of the sphere, which results in the intensity per meter squared at the Earth's orbit. However, due to the Earth's position and rotation, not all points on its surface receive the same amount of solar radiation. Therefore, the solar constant of 1380 Wm-2 should be treated as an average, while the actual intensity at any given point may be lower, around 340 Wm-2
Peter G.
Hi,

So, I understand the concept that the power radiated by the sun spreads out as a sphere with a radius equal to 1 AU. Therefore, in order to find the intensity, we have to divide the power radiated by the surface area of the sphere. I thought the result of this calculation would yield the intensity per meter squared, that is, in an area of 1 m by 1 m on the surface of the Earth.

However, I was reading some websites and I got really confused. They claim 1380 Wm-2 is the solar constant provided we treat the Earth as a sphere but 340 Wm-2 if we consider only a "disc" is receiving the energy at any given point.

So, is 1380 Wm-2 received at every point on Earth or the Earth itself receives 1380 Wm-2?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

So, I understand the concept that the power radiated by the sun spreads out as a sphere with a radius equal to 1 AU.
The energy spreads our spherically - but the radius depends on where you do the measurement.
Therefore, in order to find the intensity, we have to divide the power radiated by the surface area of the sphere.
That is to say, the intensity at the Earth's orbit.
I thought the result of this calculation would yield the intensity per meter squared, that is, in an area of 1 m by 1 m on the surface of the Earth.
Yes it will ... and the solar flux will be radial through each square meter.
However, I was reading some websites and I got really confused. They claim 1380 Wm-2 is the solar constant provided we treat the Earth as a sphere but 340 Wm-2 if we consider only a "disc" is receiving the energy at any given point.
These sites are taking into account the fact that not everywhere on the Earth is directly facing the Sun. (Not all the same distance from the Sun either.)

Related to Solar Constant: Earth's Receiving Intensity

1. What is the solar constant?

The solar constant is the amount of energy that the Earth receives from the sun per unit area, typically measured in watts per square meter. It represents the average amount of solar radiation that reaches the top of Earth's atmosphere.

2. How is the solar constant determined?

The solar constant is determined by measuring the amount of solar radiation that reaches the top of Earth's atmosphere and dividing it by the surface area of the Earth. This is typically done using satellites and other instruments, and the value is constantly updated as technology and methods improve.

3. Does the solar constant vary?

Yes, the solar constant can vary slightly due to changes in the Earth's distance from the sun, as well as variations in solar activity. However, these changes are relatively small and do not significantly impact the Earth's overall climate.

4. How does the solar constant affect Earth's climate?

The solar constant plays a crucial role in regulating Earth's climate by providing the energy needed for processes such as photosynthesis and ocean currents. Changes in the solar constant can also affect global temperatures, but these changes are typically small compared to other factors such as greenhouse gases.

5. Can the solar constant be used as a source of renewable energy?

Yes, the solar constant can be harnessed as a source of renewable energy through technologies such as solar panels and solar thermal systems. However, the efficiency of these technologies depends on factors such as location, weather, and time of day.