What is the rotational inertia of the pole

In summary, the problem involves finding the rotational inertia of a 2.75 m long pole with a mass of 12.93 kg, about an axis through its lower end and perpendicular to the pole. The attempted solution using the formula I = 1/2mr2 resulted in 48.9 kgm2, which was incorrect. The correct solution, using the Parallel Axis Theorem and the formula I = 1/3 m L^2, resulted in 12.22 kgm2. The book also suggests using a list of moment of inertias for different shapes, and in this case, the shape of the pole resembles that of a rod or cylinder.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A 2.75 m long pole is balanced vertically on its tip. It starts to fall and its lower end does not slip.

the mass of the pole is 12.93 kg

What is the rotational inertia of the pole about an axis through its lower end and perpendicular to the pole?

Homework Equations

I = 1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75)2

I = 48.9 kgm2

this was wrong so maybe i thought to use the center of the pole as my R since the mass in distributed throughout the pole

I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75/2)2

I = 12.22 kgm2

Does this look right?

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.75 m long pole is balanced vertically on its tip. It starts to fall and its lower end does not slip.

the mass of the pole is 12.93 kg

What is the rotational inertia of the pole about an axis through its lower end and perpendicular to the pole?

Homework Equations

I = 1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75)2

I = 48.9 kgm2

this was wrong so maybe i thought to use the center of the pole as my R since the mass in distributed throughout the pole

I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75/2)2

I = 12.22 kgm2

Does this look right?

thanks for any help

What does the Parallel Axis Theorem say about how to do this problem?

Does your book have a list of moment of inertias for different shapes? And any of those shapes resemble a pole?

yeah it says

I = 1/3 m L^2

thank you :) that worked perfectly

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass and distribution of mass of an object.

2. How is rotational inertia different from mass?

While mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, rotational inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. They are related, but not the same.

3. What is the formula for calculating rotational inertia?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's mass.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect rotational inertia?

The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the greater the object's rotational inertia will be. This is because the mass has a greater lever arm and therefore a greater torque on the object.

5. Why is rotational inertia important?

Rotational inertia is important because it affects an object's rotational motion and its stability. Objects with a higher rotational inertia will be more difficult to rotate or change in their rotational motion, making them more stable. It is also important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing machines and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.