What is the rotational inertia of the pole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
mybrohshi5
Messages
365
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 2.75 m long pole is balanced vertically on its tip. It starts to fall and its lower end does not slip.

the mass of the pole is 12.93 kg

What is the rotational inertia of the pole about an axis through its lower end and perpendicular to the pole?

Homework Equations



I = 1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution



I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75)2

I = 48.9 kgm2

this was wrong so maybe i thought to use the center of the pole as my R since the mass in distributed throughout the pole


I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75/2)2

I = 12.22 kgm2

Does this look right?

thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mybrohshi5 said:

Homework Statement



A 2.75 m long pole is balanced vertically on its tip. It starts to fall and its lower end does not slip.

the mass of the pole is 12.93 kg

What is the rotational inertia of the pole about an axis through its lower end and perpendicular to the pole?

Homework Equations



I = 1/2mr2

The Attempt at a Solution



I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75)2

I = 48.9 kgm2

this was wrong so maybe i thought to use the center of the pole as my R since the mass in distributed throughout the pole


I = 1/2(12.93kg)(2.75/2)2

I = 12.22 kgm2

Does this look right?

thanks for any help

What does the Parallel Axis Theorem say about how to do this problem?
 
Does your book have a list of moment of inertias for different shapes? And any of those shapes resemble a pole?
 
yeah it says

I = 1/3 m L^2

thank you :) that worked perfectly