What is the significance of sqrt{2gh} ?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter acspin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Significance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 59K views
acspin
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm not sure how to word my question, so I will just state it upfront.

What is the importance of [tex]\upsilon[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex] in physics?

I've seen it in escape velocity problems, though with an R instead of h. I've seen it with conservation of momentum applications, and it's similar to PE = mgh. Yesterday my professor was discussing Bernoulli's equation and this equation came up again.

I was just wondering how it can be applied to so many different situations...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi acspin! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

It's because v2 is KE per mass.

Whenever KE + PE =constant, you'll have equations involving v2 = PE/m, which in some cases is gh.

As to Bernouli's equation, that's just conservation of energy applied to a fluid, and both KE and PE appear in it. :smile:
 
acspin said:
What is the importance of [tex]\upsilon[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex] in physics?

When acceleration is constant, say along the x-axis, then it is necessarily true that

v^2=2ax. (where v at time t=0 is zero).