1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Physical significance of integral of F cross dr

1. May 1, 2016 #1
    In the vector calculus course, I calculated integrals like,
    ##\int \vec F \times \vec{dr} ##
    Does this kind of integrals have physical significance or practical application other than Biot-Savart's Law?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2016 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In Newtonian mechanics the integral represents torque or rate of change of angular momentum.

The cross-product as a mathematical tool was invented probably because of its practical application. Although its development as a mathematical tool was post-Newton, it is very useful in mechancs.

AM

4. May 1, 2016 #3
    Isn't torque defined as ##\vec r \times \vec F## ?

5. May 1, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\vec r \times \vec F = - \vec F \times \vec r##

6. May 1, 2016 #5

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. That is just a convention. The difference is the sign or direction of the torque vector.

AM

7. May 1, 2016 #6
    That was not my point. ##d \vec r## represents infinitesimal change in position vector, while ##\vec r## represents position vector. Could you please give me a practical example where the net torque is calculated by ##\int \vec F \times d \vec r## ?

8. May 1, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The line integral doesn't represent the torque on a body. The total torque on a body would be a volume integral:

##\vec{\tau} = -\int \vec F \times \vec r dV##

I'm not sure when you would use the line integral.

9. May 2, 2016 #8

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see your point. PeroK is quite right that ##\int \vec F \times d \vec r## does not represent torque. I am not sure what it would represent. I also don't see how it applies even to the Biot-Savart Law.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted