What is the Significance of the Lambda Symbol in Transformation Matrices?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter peter46464
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lambda Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
peter46464
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Does the lambda symbol [tex]\Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu}[/tex] refer specifically to the Lorentz transformation matrix or to any transformation matrix?
Also, is it essential that it's enclosed in brackets [tex]\left(\Lambda_{\nu}^{\mu}\right)[/tex]
to indicate the entire matrix and not a particular component? Does it matter that much or is it an obvious faux pas?
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's usually just the components of a Lorentz transformation, but you shouldn't assume that every author uses that convention.

I'm not a fan of the [itex](\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu)[/itex] notation. I assume it denotes the matrix with [itex]\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu[/itex] on row [itex]\mu[/itex], column [itex]\nu[/itex]? I would just write [itex]\Lambda[/itex].

Note that in most books, the horizontal positioning of the indices is important.