What is the significance of the Lande g-factor in nuclear physics?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter teroenza
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nuclear
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
teroenza
Messages
190
Reaction score
5
Looking at the Wikipedia page for the Lande g-factor, I'm a bit confused. I thought that [itex]g_I\approx5.585[/itex], that of the proton, but then there is the line saying that
This last approximation is justified because g_I is smaller than g_j by the ratio of the electron mass to the proton mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landé_g-factor

It makes sense that the nuclear and Bohr magnetons would differ by the mass ratio, but I thought [itex]g_s \approx 2[/itex], [itex]g_L=1[/itex], and [itex]g_I\approx5.585[/itex]. Then the additional factors in the Lande calculation would account for the different [itex]J,S,F[/itex].
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that the Wiki page is discussing atoms rather than nucleii.
 
You're right. I was confusing the nuclear g-factor of a proton with the nuclear g-factor of an atom.