What is the simplified derivative of (50t)/(6+t)^3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 939
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
939
Messages
110
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



I keep getting it wrong. Using the quotient rule.

Homework Equations



Derivative of (50t)/(6+t)^3


The Attempt at a Solution



My answer: -100t^3 - 900t^2 + 10800/((6+t)^3)^2)
The book: (-100 (t - 3))/(6 + t)^4

What happened?



EDIT: Nevermind, I realize they're basically the same. I'll leave this here incase someone needs help in the future.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement



I keep getting it wrong. Using the quotient rule.

Homework Equations



Derivative of (50t)/(6+t)^3


The Attempt at a Solution



My answer: -100t^3 - 900t^2 + 10800/((6+t)^3)^2)
The book: (-100 (t - 3))/(6 + t)^4

What happened?



EDIT: Nevermind, I realize they're basically the same. I'll leave this here incase someone needs help in the future.
To get the book's answer, don't multiply things out in the numerator after you use the quotient rule. In the numerator, both terms have a factor of 50 and a factor of (6 + t)2. Bring out these factors, and what you have left is easy to simplify, and results in the book's answer.