What is the second derivative of f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative of the function f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3) using the chain, product, and quotient rules. The person has already found the first derivative but is having trouble reaching the final answer. They are seeking help to solve the problem.
FChebli

Homework Statement

Find the second derivative of the function:

f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)

Homework Equations

The chain, product and quotient rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the first derivative and checked my solution:

′()= 4− / ^(1/3) (6−)^(2/3)

The final solution is supposed to be:

''()= -8 / ^(4/3) (6−)^(5/3)

I know almost all the steps but I couldn't reach the final answer! Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
FChebli said:

Homework Statement

Find the second derivative of the function:

f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)

Homework Equations

The chain, product and quotient rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the first derivative and checked my solution:

′()= 4− / ^(1/3) (6−)^(2/3)
There's a difference between what you think you wrote and what you actually wrote.

Here's how knowledgeable people would interpret what you wrote:
$$f'(x) = 4 - \frac{x}{x^{1/3}}(6 - x)^{2/3}$$

Since you undoubtedly meant for 4 - x to appear in the numerator, you need more parentheses or brackets, in both top and bottom, like so:
f'(x) = (4 - x)/[x1/3(6 - x)2/3]

Since you need to take the derivative again, it might be easier to leave the derivative as got it the first time; i.e., as a product with negative exponents. It looks nicer by changing the negative exponents to positive exponents, but taking the derivative this time means using the quotient rule. If you leave the first derivative as a product, you can use the product rule, which is a bit simpler than the quotient rule, hence less prone to errors.
FChebli said:
The final solution is supposed to be:

''()= -8 / ^(4/3) (6−)^(5/3)

I know almost all the steps but I couldn't reach the final answer! Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance!

Likes 1 person

What is the definition of the second derivative?

The second derivative of a function is the derivative of the derivative of the function. It represents the rate of change of the slope of the function.

How is the second derivative related to the graph of a function?

The second derivative indicates the concavity of a function, i.e. whether the graph is convex or concave. A positive second derivative means the graph is concave up, while a negative second derivative means the graph is concave down.

Can the second derivative be used to determine the maximum or minimum points of a function?

Yes, the second derivative test can be used to determine the maximum or minimum points of a function. If the second derivative is positive at a critical point, it is a minimum point. If the second derivative is negative, it is a maximum point.

What is the relationship between the first and second derivative of a function?

The first derivative represents the rate of change of the function, while the second derivative represents the rate of change of the slope of the function. Therefore, the second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative.

How is the second derivative used in real-world applications?

The second derivative is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze the behavior of a function. It can help determine the acceleration of an object, the curvature of a road, or the change in demand for a product.