What is the second derivative of f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
FChebli
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the second derivative of the function:

f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)


Homework Equations



The chain, product and quotient rules

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found the first derivative and checked my solution:

′()= 4− / ^(1/3) (6−)^(2/3)

The final solution is supposed to be:

''()= -8 / ^(4/3) (6−)^(5/3)

I know almost all the steps but I couldn't reach the final answer! Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
FChebli said:

Homework Statement



Find the second derivative of the function:

f(x)= x^(2/3) (6-x)^(1/3)


Homework Equations



The chain, product and quotient rules

The Attempt at a Solution



I have found the first derivative and checked my solution:

′()= 4− / ^(1/3) (6−)^(2/3)
There's a difference between what you think you wrote and what you actually wrote.

Here's how knowledgeable people would interpret what you wrote:
$$f'(x) = 4 - \frac{x}{x^{1/3}}(6 - x)^{2/3}$$

Since you undoubtedly meant for 4 - x to appear in the numerator, you need more parentheses or brackets, in both top and bottom, like so:
f'(x) = (4 - x)/[x1/3(6 - x)2/3]

Since you need to take the derivative again, it might be easier to leave the derivative as got it the first time; i.e., as a product with negative exponents. It looks nicer by changing the negative exponents to positive exponents, but taking the derivative this time means using the quotient rule. If you leave the first derivative as a product, you can use the product rule, which is a bit simpler than the quotient rule, hence less prone to errors.
FChebli said:
The final solution is supposed to be:

''()= -8 / ^(4/3) (6−)^(5/3)

I know almost all the steps but I couldn't reach the final answer! Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person