What is the smallest switching time of a transistor ? :confused:

In summary, the smallest switching time of a transistor is not a direct indicator of its clock speed and is highly dependent on various factors such as the type of transistor, circuit configuration, and desired specifications. The current fastest transistor has a speed of over 600 GHz and it is expected to surpass 1 THz with advancements in technology. However, the clock speed of a CPU is not a direct indicator of transistor switching speed as it is largely design dependent and influenced by various factors such as transistor topology, memory operations, and pipeline setup.
Ali Inam
What is the smallest switching time of a transistor ? !

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

I have used unsaturated switching npn (I think 2N5770) transistors (in a differential pair with a common current sink) switching a few milliamps at 0.75 volt, and achieved ~ 1 to 1.5 ns rise and fall times into 50 ohms.

http://www.hamtv.com/pdffiles/2N5770.pdf

The data sheet claims a 20 ps collector-base time constant.

Bob S

Ali Inam said:
What is the smallest switching time of a transistor ? !

:confused:

What is the clock speed of the current fastest CPUs?

bjacoby said:
What is the clock speed of the current fastest CPUs?

Clock speed is not a direct indicator of switching speed. The switching speed of a transistor is much much faster than clock speed.

It depends on the type of transistor, the specifications that you need to satisfy, the package (switching on chip or with the package) and whether you are asking about off the shelf or what is only available in the laboratory.

In 2005, I know that the world's fastest transistor was just over 600 GHz. They should have surpassed 1 THz by now as the technology that allowed them to break 600 GHz was expected to bring the speeds into the 1 THz range.

Born2bwire said:
Clock speed is not a direct indicator of switching speed. The switching speed of a transistor is much much faster than clock speed.

It depends on the type of transistor, the specifications that you need to satisfy, the package (switching on chip or with the package) and whether you are asking about off the shelf or what is only available in the laboratory.

In 2005, I know that the world's fastest transistor was just over 600 GHz. They should have surpassed 1 THz by now as the technology that allowed them to break 600 GHz was expected to bring the speeds into the 1 THz range.

Sure clock speed isn't quite a direct indicator, but it's close enough for physics is it not? The actual switching speed may be faster but on the other hand CPU clocking will have rates in excess of discrete transistors because they are smaller and closely wired to neighboring parts.

On the other hand I'm not sure if the OP was asking what the current fasting switching rates are or if he wanted to know the theoretical minimum switching times. I'm not sure how to answer the last question.

Surely the answer is it depends.

It depends on the circuit configuration as well as the transistor.
Switching off takes longer than switching on.
Do we count switching circuits where the transistor is not actually switched to increase speed or are we going to insist on full saturation?

bjacoby said:
Sure clock speed isn't quite a direct indicator, but it's close enough for physics is it not? The actual switching speed may be faster but on the other hand CPU clocking will have rates in excess of discrete transistors because they are smaller and closely wired to neighboring parts.

On the other hand I'm not sure if the OP was asking what the current fasting switching rates are or if he wanted to know the theoretical minimum switching times. I'm not sure how to answer the last question.

The clock speed isn't anywhere close to the switching speed because it is largely design dependent. The clock is dictated by the longest critical path which is going to depend upon a lot of factors. The speed of switching, the number of transistors in series, the desired error rates, race conditions, length of transmission lines, pipelining, the transistor topology (NMOS, CMOS, etc) and the latency from memory operations (cache->RAM->Disk). For example, the same CPU could be easily clocked 1 GHz or 500 MHz depending on how you set up the pipeline.

1. What is a transistor and what is its purpose?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. Its main purpose is to control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How does a transistor work?

A transistor consists of three layers of a semiconductor material, typically silicon. The middle layer is called the base, while the outer layers are called the emitter and the collector. By applying a small voltage to the base, the flow of current between the emitter and collector can be controlled, allowing for amplification or switching of signals.

3. What is the smallest switching time of a transistor?

The smallest switching time of a transistor is determined by its physical size and the materials used in its construction. Generally, modern transistors have switching times in the nanosecond range, with some specialized transistors capable of switching in picoseconds.

4. How is the switching time of a transistor measured?

The switching time of a transistor is typically measured using an oscilloscope, which can capture and display the changes in voltage and current over time. The switching time is usually defined as the time it takes for the transistor to change from its off state to its on state or vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the switching time of a transistor?

The switching time of a transistor can be affected by various factors such as temperature, supply voltage, and the load on the transistor. Additionally, the type and quality of the materials used in the transistor can also impact its switching time.