What is the solution (rational function/interval table)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter eleventhxhour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the solution to |x/(x-2)| < 5 is x < 5/3 and x > 5/2. This can be found by either squaring both sides or splitting the inequality into two cases and solving separately. It is important to be aware of the signs when cross multiplying in inequalities.
eleventhxhour
What is the solution of |x/(x-2)| < 5 ?

So, I did this the usual way of moving over the 5 to the left side and then cross multiplying and simplifying etc. However, I keep getting the wrong answer. I got x < 5/3 and x > 2, while the answer in the book says that it's x< 5/3 and x > 5/2.

What did I do wrong? I'm assuming it has something to do with the absolute value sign, but I'm not sure how to figure it out...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do yo mean with cross multiplying? I'm not familiar with this.

I would solve it this way: to get rid of the absolut value signs you can square both sides, that is

$$\left | \frac{x}{x-2}\right | < 5 \Rightarrow \frac{x^2}{(x-2)^2} < 25$$
Solving this inequality gives the desired result.

Another way to get rid of the absolute value:
\(\displaystyle \left | \frac{x}{x - 2} \right | < 5\)

splits into the two inequalities:
\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{x - 2} < 5\)

and
\(\displaystyle -\frac{x}{x - 2} < 5\)

and solve them separately.

The trouble with cross multiplying when using inequalities is that we need to know the sign of what we are multiplying by. For example -4/x < 1 when x is positive, but -4/x > 1 when x is negative. The same thing will occur for the x - 2 term.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Another way to get rid of the absolute value:
\(\displaystyle \left | \frac{x}{x - 2} \right | < 5\)

splits into the two inequalities:
\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{x - 2} < 5\)

and
\(\displaystyle -\frac{x}{x - 2} < 5\)

and solve them separately.

The trouble with cross multiplying when using inequalities is that we need to know the sign of what we are multiplying by. For example -4/x < 1 when x is positive, but -4/x > 1 when x is negative. The same thing will occur for the x - 2 term.

-Dan

So I solved each of those and for the first one I got that it's negative at x<2 and x>5/2. For the second I got that it's negative at x<5/3 and x>2. Is this correct? The book had a different answer (x<5/3 and x>5/2).

eleventhxhour said:
So I solved each of those and for the first one I got that it's negative at x<2 and x>5/2. For the second I got that it's negative at x<5/3 and x>2. Is this correct? The book had a different answer (x<5/3 and x>5/2).
All of this has to come together. Take a look first at the lower limits of x. We have x < 2 and x < 5/3. In order for both of these to be true then we require that x < 5/3, because 5/3 is smaller than 2...both conditions are satisfied by this. See if you can do the upper limits of x based on a similar argument.

-Dan

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that is written as the ratio of two polynomials. In other words, it is a fraction where both the numerator and denominator are polynomials.

2. How do you solve a rational function?

To solve a rational function, you first need to simplify it by factoring both the numerator and denominator. Then, you can identify any common factors and cancel them out. Finally, you can solve for the remaining values by setting the numerator equal to zero and solving for the variable.

3. What is an interval table?

An interval table is a table that displays the values of a function over a specific interval or range of values. It is often used to analyze the behavior of a function and identify key features such as intercepts, asymptotes, and intervals of increase or decrease.

4. How do you create an interval table for a rational function?

To create an interval table for a rational function, you first need to choose a range of values for the independent variable (usually x). Then, plug each value into the function and solve for the corresponding output (usually y). The resulting values can be plotted on a table to show the behavior of the function over the chosen interval.

5. What is the solution to a rational function?

The solution to a rational function is the set of values for the independent variable that make the function equal to zero. These values are also known as the roots, x-intercepts, or solutions of the function. They can be found by setting the numerator equal to zero and solving for the variable.