What is the speed of the skater's hands in rotational motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 10K views
mmbruns
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
A skater holds her arms outstretched as she spins at 120rpm. What is the speed of her hands if they are 130cm apart?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Work.

From what I understand in class

Vt=Angular velocity * radius

from my calculations

120rpm = 2rps
and
d=.130m, so C= .4082m

And I multiplied

2*.4082 to find the total distance in one revolution

=.8164m in one sec

Now I'm stuck
 
Nope didn't get it...I tried doing the equation v=w(pi)f wrong! Gerrrrr
 
Well one has the answer - =.8164m in one sec => 0.8164 m/s!

rpm is revolutions per minute and rps is revolutions per second.

Now in one revolution, a point on the circumference travels 2[itex]\pi[/itex] radians, which is a measure of angle.

So 2 rps = 2 * 2[itex]\pi[/itex] rad/s = 12.57 rad/s, which is [itex]\omega[/itex], the angular velocity.

Now apply the formula - Vt=Angular velocity * radius.
 
Yes. There is round off accuracy involved in both calculations.

If one uses 12.566 (4 pi) instead of 12.57 rad/s, then the answer becomes 0.8168 m/s.
 
I understand that, but that is not the answer...I tried it already.
 
For Future reference, the equation for this problem is V=[2(pi)r]/t

t is found per second
i.e. 60/120
 
Hmm the answer of 0.82 doesn't seem to be correct according to Mastering Physics. I've followed the steps provided, and I still can't seem to figure out where we're going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.