Solving Rotating Ice Skaters Problem: Is their Straight Line Parallel?

In summary: The radii are the distance from the CoM to the point on the line. This seems like a much more difficult problem than the binary-star problem.
brotherbobby
Statement of the problem :
Two ice skaters circle about a point while holding hands. At a certain moment both let go and move along straight lines. Are the two straight lines parallel? Explain.

Ang. Momentum.png

My attempt : Calling the two ice skaters ##S_1## and ##S_2 ##, they must lie along the same line passing through the centre of the circle at all points. That implies, despite their different masses, they must rotate with the same (linear) velocity ##v##. When they separate, they should move in lines that are tangent to the circle and therefore perpendicular to the diameter to which they were "connected" last. Hence their straight lines must be parallel.

Doubts :

1. The problem is one on angular momentum ##(\mathbf L = \mathbf r \times \mathbf p)## and its conservation. I haven't used any of that in my solution, even if I am correct.

2. If the masses ##(m_1 \neq m_2)## are different, should their linear speeds ##(v_1, v_2)## and radii ##(r_1, r_2)## by the same? Of course, both could be different in a way such that their angular speed ##(\omega = \frac{v}{r})## remains the same.

Attachments

• Ang. Momentum.png
    Ang. Momentum.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 567
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer this question at all, I think you have to pretend there are no horizontal forces between ice and skaters.
brotherbobby said:
The problem is one on angular momentum
Not obvious to me how you would use that here. You could use conservation of linear momentum. What is the linear momentum of the system before they decouple?
brotherbobby said:
If the masses (m1≠m2)(m1≠m2)(m_1 \neq m_2) are different, should their linear speeds (v1,v2)(v1,v2)(v_1, v_2) and radii (r1,r2)(r1,r2)(r_1, r_2) by the same?
Certainly the diagram looks like they are unequal.
Would the radii be the same? Think about the centripetal force on each. What must be the same is the angular velocity.

haruspex said:
Not obvious to me how you would use that here. You could use conservation of linear momentum. What is the linear momentum of the system before they decouple?

The total linear momentum of the system before they decouple is zero [##p_{total} = 0##].

haruspex said:
Would the radii be the same? Think about the centripetal force on each. What must be the same is the angular velocity.

Yes, the problem is, the radii have to be the same, as the problem states : "two skaters circle about a point". Hence the centripetal force on each will have to be different, if their masses are unequal. (##F_i = m_i \omega^2 r##)

I paste below a sketch of my solution to the problem. My conclusion is that both the skaters would move away in lines with the same speed in opposite direction, the lines being parallel.
Rotation.png

Thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• Rotation.png
    Rotation.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 316
brotherbobby said:
the radii have to be the same, as the problem states : "two skaters circle about a point".
They can each circle about the same point but at different radii. Indeed, if different masses that is what they must do.

haruspex said:
They can each circle about the same point but at different radii. Indeed, if different masses that is what they must do.
what he said (very small).jpg

Attachments

• what he said (very small).jpg
    what he said (very small).jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 347
haruspex said:

Yes, that is what happens for a pair of (binary) stars. The problem is, the two skaters "circle about a point while holding hands".

If they revolved about their CM, their relative distance (##r = r_1-r_2##) will change. That is not possible if they are holding hands.

I believe this is a simpler problem than the binary-star problem.

Thank you for your interest and time.

brotherbobby said:
If they revolved about their CM, their relative distance (##r = r_1-r_2##) will change.
Can you explain why you think so? Also their distance from one another is equal to ##r_1+r_2## surely.

brotherbobby said:
the two skaters "circle about a point while holding hands".
I don't see the difficulty.
Draw the two skaters as point masses. Put the CoM somewhere between them. Draw a line through the CoM, connecting the skaters, to represent their arms. Pick some point on that line, need not be the CoM, to represent their clasped hands.
Each circles around the CoM.

1. How does the rotation of an ice skater affect their ability to maintain a straight line?

The rotation of an ice skater affects their ability to maintain a straight line because it creates a centrifugal force that pulls them away from the center of rotation. This force causes the skater to curve away from the straight line and requires them to constantly adjust their body positioning to counteract it.

2. Why is it important for an ice skater to maintain a straight line while rotating?

Maintaining a straight line while rotating is important for an ice skater because it allows them to maintain balance and control over their movements. It also allows them to execute more complex maneuvers and transitions with precision and grace.

3. What factors contribute to an ice skater's ability to maintain a straight line while rotating?

Several factors contribute to an ice skater's ability to maintain a straight line while rotating, including their body positioning and balance, the quality and sharpness of their skate blades, and the speed and direction of their rotation.

4. How can an ice skater improve their ability to maintain a straight line while rotating?

An ice skater can improve their ability to maintain a straight line while rotating by practicing proper body positioning and balance, regularly sharpening their skate blades, and developing strong core and leg muscles to control their movements.

5. Is it possible for an ice skater to maintain a straight line while rotating at high speeds?

Yes, it is possible for an ice skater to maintain a straight line while rotating at high speeds. However, it requires a high level of skill, strength, and control. More experienced skaters are able to maintain a straight line at higher speeds compared to novice skaters.