Difference between curvilinear and rotational motion

In summary, the solution states that there's no rotational motion when ##C## is cut (the motion is curvilinear), so we can take torques with respect to the centre of mass of the plate. But, isn't it rotating? I think of it as a pendulum, which describes a circular motion. What's the difference? Wouldn't the plate oscillate like a pendulum, describing the arc of a circle?The difference is that a pendulum has a restoring force that keeps it in equilibrium, whereas a rotating object does not.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The picture shows a plate of mass ##750 kg##, whose centre of mass is in ##O##. Determine the tension in ##A## and ##B## after ##C## is cut.
Relevant Equations
##\Sigma \tau =I \alpha##
##\Sigma F=ma##
The solution states that there's no rotational motion when ##C## is cut (the motion is curvilinear), so we can take torques with respect to the centre of mass of the plate. But, isn't it rotating? I think of it as a pendulum, which describes a circular motion. What's the difference? Wouldn't the plate oscillate like a pendulum, describing the arc of a circle?

Attachments

• 20200827_124237.jpg
    20200827_124237.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 101
Physics news on Phys.org
Like Tony Stark said:
What's the difference?
It doesn't rotate: the angle of e.g. AB wrt the horizontal does not change

Likes Like Tony Stark
BvU said:
It doesn't rotate: the angle of e.g. AB wrt the horizontal does not change
I would clarify this and say that because AB wrt the horizontal doesn't change, the block does not rotate about its CM. Nevertheless the block's CM rotates wrt some point in the sense that the angle between the strings and the vertical changes wrt time. By contrast, a pendulum suspended by a single string rotates both about its CM and the point of support. Just like the Moon shows the same face to the Earth by making one revolution about the Earth in the same time it makes one revolution about its axis, the one-string pendulum shows the same face to the point of support.

Likes Like Tony Stark and Lnewqban
Back in elementary school we were taught to use the term "rotation" for the circular motion of a rigid object such as a satellite about its own center of mass and "revolution" for the [near-] circular motion of a satellite about its primary.

Likes Like Tony Stark and etotheipi
jbriggs444 said:
Back in elementary school we were taught to use the term "rotation" for the circular motion of a rigid object such as a satellite about its own center of mass and "revolution" for the [near-] circular motion of a satellite about its primary.
It's a good distinction whereas "orbital" and "spin" (angular momentum) are more physicky.

Likes Like Tony Stark
kuruman said:
Nevertheless the block's CM rotates wrt some point in the sense that the angle between the strings and the vertical changes wrt time.

That's my doubt. Doesn't the centre of mass of the plate oscillate like the ball of the pendulum?

No. It stays 'upright'.

Likes Like Tony Stark
Like Tony Stark said:
That's my doubt. Doesn't the centre of mass of the plate oscillate like the ball of the pendulum?
The center of mass moves back and forth in an arc. Yes.

The plate does not change it orientation during this movement. It stays upright at all times.

Likes Like Tony Stark
jbriggs444 said:
The center of mass moves back and forth in an arc. Yes.

The plate does not change it orientation during this movement. It stays upright at all times.
I got it. Thanks.
And what if I want to calculate the period of its centre of mass? Should I treat all the system as a simple pendulum?

Why not draw a FBD, derive the equation of motion and see if it is the same as that of a simple pendulum?

Likes BvU

1. What is the main difference between curvilinear and rotational motion?

Curvilinear motion refers to the movement of an object along a curved path, while rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around a fixed axis.

2. Can an object exhibit both curvilinear and rotational motion?

Yes, an object can exhibit both types of motion simultaneously. For example, a spinning top exhibits both rotational motion around its axis and curvilinear motion as it moves across a surface.

3. How is velocity different in curvilinear and rotational motion?

In curvilinear motion, velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's movement along a curved path. In rotational motion, velocity is also a vector quantity, but it describes the speed and direction of an object's rotation around an axis.

4. What are some examples of curvilinear and rotational motion in everyday life?

Curvilinear motion can be observed in activities such as driving a car around a curved road or throwing a ball in a curved path. Rotational motion can be seen in objects like spinning tops, merry-go-rounds, or the Earth's rotation around its axis.

5. How do forces affect curvilinear and rotational motion?

Forces can change the speed, direction, or both of an object's curvilinear motion. In rotational motion, forces can change the object's angular speed or direction of rotation. For example, a force applied to a spinning top can cause it to change its rotational speed or axis of rotation.