What is the Surface Area of a Parametric Surface in the UV-Plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the area of the surface with parametric equations x=uv, y=u+v, z=u-v.
u^2 + v^2 <= 1

Homework Equations


A(S)= double integral over the domain D of the norm of the cross product (r_u X r_v) DA

The Attempt at a Solution


I started off with finding the norm of the cross product and got sqrt [4+2(v^2) + 2(u^2)]. I found it almost impossible to solve that integral. So I'm trying to use polar coordinates, but I don't know how to set the equations in terms of theta and radius.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you are thinking is exactly right. Since the region of the surface in which you are interested is given by [itex]u^2+ v^2\le 1[/itex] in the uv-plane, you use [itex]u= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]v= rsin(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]dudv= r dr d\theta[/itex] and the integral is just
[tex]\int_{r= 0}^1\int_{\theta= 0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{4+ 2r^2}rdrd\theta[/itex][/tex]
 
When I compute the cross product, does r_theta X r_radius = r_u X r_v? In which case I could just compute r_u X r_v since it's easier right?
 
Yes! Notice that I specifically said "the uv-plane". The reason you want to change to "polar coordinates" is because you have "[itex]u^2+ v^2\le 1[/itex]" and [itex]u^2+ v^2[/itex] in your integral. This have nothing to do with the xy-plane.