1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Area of Parameterized Region

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the surface area S of the portion of the hyperbolic paraboloid:

## r(u,v) = \langle (u+v),(u-v),uv \rangle ##

for which:

## u^2 + v^2 <= 225 ##

2. Relevant equations

(Surface Area for Parameterized Region:)
    ##\int \int ||\frac {\partial r} {\partial u} \times \frac {\partial r} {\partial v}||dA## Where the double integral is over the region R.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so first, I found the partial derivatives of u and v with respect to the parameterized function r(u,v):

## \frac {\partial r} {\partial u} = \langle 1,1,v \rangle , \frac {\partial r} {\partial v} = \langle 1,-1,u \rangle ##

After that, I found the cross product:

## \langle (u+v), (v-u), -2 \rangle ##

Then the norm:

## \sqrt{2(u^2+v^2+2)}##

It's at this point that I realized this integrand was pretty rough, and should probably switch to polar:

##\sqrt{2r^2+4}##

Since I got all that set, I need to find some limits, and also convert them to polar coordinates. The limits for u I had as [-3,3], and the limits for v were [##-\sqrt{225-u^2},\sqrt{225-u^2}##]

So, the new limits for the polar system I received for ##\theta## was [0,2\pi], and for r I got [0, 15], due to the circle being at radius 15.

Now I set up the integral and evaluate.

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^15 \sqrt{2r^2+4} r dr d\theta##

Using U substitution I get an integral of this form (I plan on plugging the u back in, so I leave the limits the same):

##\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^15 (\frac 1 4) \sqrt{u} du d\theta##

##\int_0^{2\pi} (\frac 1 4) [ (\frac 2 3) (2r^2+4)^{\frac 3 2}|_0^{15}]##

The integral just gets super sloppy here, and I'm not sure if I've even set it up correctly, or if you can even convert to polar from a parameterized function?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Everything you did looks good to me, but you stopped just one step short of an answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted