- 23,756
- 5,960
You left out the gravitational force on the 1 kg mass.Suyash Singh said:1a=T-T'
(How could you possibly have thought you could solve this problem without using free body diagrams?)
You left out the gravitational force on the 1 kg mass.Suyash Singh said:1a=T-T'
a=T-T'-gChestermiller said:You left out the gravitational force on the 1 kg mass.
(How could you possibly have thought you could solve this problem without using free body diagrams?)
I only get around 30 seconds for one question :(Chestermiller said:(How could you possibly have thought you could solve this problem without using free body diagrams?)
Your objective is to learn the subject, not to complete problems in a certain amount of time. In my judgment, this problem can’t reasonably be analyzed in 30 seconds. How much time have you spent on it so far?Suyash Singh said:a=T-T'-g
I only get around 30 seconds for one question :(
Very nice. You've made progress. Now, let's the force balances on the other 3 masses. After that, I'll give you some ideas on how to solve the equations to get the acceleration and tensions.Suyash Singh said:a=T-T'-g
(
on 1kg left side,Chestermiller said:Very nice. You've made progress. Now, let's the force balances on the other 3 masses. After that, I'll give you some ideas on how to solve the equations to get the acceleration and tensions.
This is not what I get. Using the symbols and diagram in your post #8, I corresponding equations get are:Suyash Singh said:on 1kg left side,
a=T-T'-g
on 1 kg right side,
a=-T+g
on 2kg right side,
2a=-T-T'+2g
oh ok i understand nowChestermiller said:This is not what I get. Using the symbols and diagram in your post #8, I corresponding equations get are:
$$a=T-5g-g$$
$$a=T'-T+g$$
$$2a=-T'+2g$$
Do you see where T is not acting on the 2 kg mass, only T'?
Do you see where T' is acting on the 1 kg mass on the right?
Do you see where T' is not acting on the 1 kg mass on the left, but 5g is (the force exerted by the spring)?
Suyash Singh said:1 kg on right,
2g down , 1g down, T up
a=2g+g-T
a=T'+g-TChestermiller said:2g down , 1g down, T up
No. T' down, 1g down, T up
Good. Now, add the three equations together. What do you get?Suyash Singh said:a=T'+g-T
4a=T-5g-g+T'+g-T-T'+2gChestermiller said:Good. Now, add the three equations together. What do you get?
Suyash Singh said:4a=T-5g-g+T'+g-T-T'+2g
4a=-6g+3g
a=-3g/4