What Is the Typical Volume Ratio Between the Bulb and Tube in a Thermometer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rkrk
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the ratio of the volume of the bulb of a thermometer to the volume of the thin tube in a bulb thermometer. It's not really a problem, but its just something I need to know to for my course. I can't find it anywhere else, so I was wondering if anyone knew it here.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't a fixed ratio. For maximum sensitivity you would try and make the bulb as large as possible and the tube as thin as possible.
Generally it is fixed by the need to cover a particular range of temperatures in a given size of thermometer.

See this thread for an explantion of why https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=182225