What Is the Value of k That Makes This Matrix Non-Invertible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wayneo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework Matrices
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
wayneo
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
determine the value of k for which the matrix

(2 4 1)
(k -1 2)
(7 7 4) has no inverse

apparently the answer is k = 1 but I can't see how.

I worked it out to be -3
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work?

I obtained an answer that isn't k=1, by the way. Are you sure you copied the matrix and/or the answer down correctly ?
 
Last edited:
I agree that it is not one, but I don't agree with your answer of -3. Assuming that the matrix you gave is correct, look back at your working (preferably post what you have done) - I checked my result with my calculator, and found the matrix to be singular.
 
see I just wanted to be sure whether the book was wrong or not as it says it is 1. I tried working out the determinant step by step and making it equal to 0 then solve for 'k' like an algebra equation
 
I worked it out to be neither 1 nor -3, and double checked in matlab.

rework and check your signs carefully.