What Is the Volume Flux for a Hydraulic Jump?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Particle Head

Homework Statement


Problem is given in this image,
https://gyazo.com/454370ff9549dcd7c53604ebfe5df105

Homework Equations



Continuity or conservation of mass equation:
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial z} = 0[/tex]
Where u is the horizontal velocity and w is the vertical velocity

The Attempt at a Solution



Firstly I integrated the conservation of mass equation with respect to x between the two points:

[tex]\int_ {x_1} ^ {x_2} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \mathrm{d}x + \int_ {x_1} ^ {x_2} \frac{\partial w}{\partial z} \mathrm{d}x = 0[/tex]
Which after evaluating I get,
[tex]u(x_2) - u(x_1) + x_2 \frac{\partial w}{\partial z} - x_1 \frac{\partial w}{\partial z} = 0[/tex]
Firstly here I am not 100% sure I can assume w is just a function of z only, but I have yet to see it as a function of anything else other than t in 2D flow?

I then integrated the mass equation vertically first from [itex]z = 0[/itex] to [itex]z = h_1[/itex] and then from [itex]z=0[/itex] to [itex]z= h_2[/itex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{h_1} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} dz + \int_{0}^{h_1} \frac{\partial w}{\partial z} dz = 0[/tex]

which yields,
[tex]h_1 \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - w(0) = 0[/tex]
Since [tex]w(h_1) = 0[/tex]

Similarly for [itex]z=0[/itex] to [itex]z= h_2[/itex] I get,
[tex]h_2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} - w(0) = 0[/tex]

This is where I am kind of stuck, from these two equations it appears [itex]h_1 = h_2[/itex] which doesn't make sense since this is a hydraulic jump and the nature of such is to increase the surface of the liquid.

Any hints where I may be going wrong here or missing something is appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First integrate with respect to z, using the Leibnitz rule for differentiation under the integral sign on the u term.
 
I try to integrate with respect to z first, I haven't used the Leibniz rule before but from what I can gather I can treat my bounds as constant thus I get this for the u term.

[tex]\int_{0}^{h_1} \frac {\partial u}{\partial x} dz = \frac {\partial}{\partial x} \int_{0}^{h_1} u dz[/tex]

After evaluating this I get,
[tex]h_1 \frac {\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]

I'm not sure if I did this correct but following this doesn't seem to get me much further?
I suspect my math is off I haven't done any multi variable calc for a while.
 
$$\frac{\partial [\int_0^{h(x)}udz]}{\partial x}=\int_0^{h(x)}{\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}dz}+u(x,h)\frac{dh}{dx}$$