What is the work function of Nichrome?

In summary, Nichrome is a metal that can have a wide range of work functions depending on how clean the surface is.
eigenmax
Hello,
Does anyone know the work function of nichrome ? I can't seem to find it online.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I found the following info, but I'm not sure it helps that much: http://lappddocs.uchicago.edu/documents/230/sendit
Depending on the cleanliness of the surface of the nichrome, work functions range from 5 to 8 eV.

Check the source to make sure it's what you actually need.

Drakkith said:
Hmmm. I found the following info, but I'm not sure it helps that much: http://lappddocs.uchicago.edu/documents/230/senditCheck the source to make sure it's what you actually need.
I had seen that but didn't notice what you pointed out. Any idea about very clean nichrome wire ?
Thanks.

Not sure, sorry.

eigenmax said:
Any idea about very clean nichrome wire ?
Not specifically, but 'chemically clean' often means washed with a strong acid, such as nitric.

Tom.G said:
Not specifically, but 'chemically clean' often means washed with a strong acid, such as nitric.
Hi,
Would washed with isopropanol and dry air count as clean ?

eigenmax said:
Would washed with isopropanol and dry air count as clean ?
It would help, but probably not qualify as 'chemically clean.' There are too many things that alcohols do not dissolve.

Hopefully someone else can jump in here with more detailed answers. I'm an electronics guy and chemistry is just random stuff I've picked up along the way.

Hello,
I'm the opposite to you then, with chemistry as my main area ! Anyway, thanks for your help, it's been very useful.
Thanks,

eigenmax said:
I had seen that but didn't notice what you pointed out. Any idea about very clean nichrome wire ?
Thanks.
The article says
The work function of Nichrome runs between 5.1 and 8 eV, depending on the cleanliness of the surface

arydberg said:
The article says
The work function of Nichrome runs between 5.1 and 8 eV, depending on the cleanliness of the surface
Ok, thanks.

1. What is the Work Function of Nichrome and why is it important?

The Work Function of Nichrome is a measure of the energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material. It is important because it determines the ease with which electrons can be released from the material, which is crucial in many electronic and thermal applications.

2. How is the Work Function of Nichrome measured?

The Work Function of Nichrome is typically measured using a technique called photoemission spectroscopy. This involves shining a beam of light onto the surface of the material and measuring the energy of the electrons that are released as a result.

3. What factors affect the Work Function of Nichrome?

The Work Function of Nichrome can be affected by various factors such as the composition and purity of the material, the surface structure, and the presence of impurities or coatings. Temperature and external electric fields can also impact the Work Function.

4. How does the Work Function of Nichrome compare to other metals?

The Work Function of Nichrome is generally higher than most other metals, meaning that it requires more energy to remove electrons from its surface. However, it is still relatively low compared to insulating materials, making it a good conductor for various applications.

5. What are some practical applications of the Work Function of Nichrome?

The Work Function of Nichrome is important in many practical applications, such as in the production of heating elements and resistors, as well as in thermionic emission devices like cathode ray tubes and vacuum tubes. It is also used in various electronic devices, such as in contacts and electrodes.