What is the x component of .... ?

In summary, when finding the x component of a vector, the appropriate units should be included and any positive signs should be ignored.
Manh
What is the x component of (+2m)ι^?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.
x = ____ __
* My attempted answer was: +2m

What is the x component of (+2m/s)ι^?
vx = ____ __
* My attempted answer was: +2m/s

What is the x component of (−2m/s)ι^?
vx= ____ __
* My attempted answer was: -2m/s

However, my answers were incorrect and I think they may have incorrect units. Can anybody tell me what I did wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to read twice to see the ##\hat\imath##.
Perhaps you are working with a computer ? Or did your teacher mark tha answers as wrong :rolleyes: ? Probably not.

Perhaps the program wants a space between the 2 and the dimension (as in the template --- --) ?

The teacher told me that I should ignore positive signs in my answers then they would be correct. Thank you for your interest in helping me!

So you were doing just fine. Good !

What is the x component of a vector?

The x component of a vector is the horizontal component, representing the magnitude and direction of the vector along the x-axis.

How do you find the x component of a force?

To find the x component of a force, you can use trigonometric functions such as cosine to calculate the magnitude and direction of the force along the x-axis.

What is the x component of an electric field?

The x component of an electric field is the part of the electric field that is directed along the x-axis. It represents the strength and direction of the electric field at any point along the x-axis.

How do you calculate the x component of a velocity?

The x component of a velocity can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the velocity by the cosine of the angle between the velocity vector and the x-axis.

What is the difference between the x component and the y component of a vector?

The x component and the y component of a vector represent different aspects of the vector's magnitude and direction. The x component is the horizontal component, while the y component is the vertical component. Together, they make up the full vector in two-dimensional space.