1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Young's modulus of balloon?

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    Are ballons mostly made of latex?
    I suppose the Young's modulus of balloon may be similar to that of latex condom.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi savawolf, welcome to PF!

Balloons are mostly made of their internal gas -- often, air or helium.

When discussing mechanics of inhomogeneous materials (like balloons, which consist of both rubber and gas), we need to be specific about whether we are talking about an effective Young's modulus or about the Young's modulus of a single component material. The effective Young's modulus of a balloon is much different from the Young's modulus of solid rubber. Does this make sense?

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    Thank you.
    I'm doing with a problem concerning some quality of the balloon. I need to know the general value of its Young's modulus. But not a exact number. A certain magnitude is OK. And according to what you have said, I may need the magnitude of the effecive Young's modulus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook