1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this constant in the gravitational acceleration formula?

1. Oct 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey all, I'm doing an assignment and I was given the formula below, but I'm unsure what one of the constants is.

2. Relevant equations

Acceleration = - μEr/r3

3. The attempt at a solution

Below the formula it says "where μE is the gravitational constant for the Earth and r is the position vector of the vehicle". But this is talking about a satellite orbiting Earth, so it can't be 9.8m/s/s, can it?

Am I meant to use μE = u*m1*m2/r2 to find it?

I've used the 'geocentric gravitational constant' elsewhere in the assignment, but it used a different symbol, this isn't it either is it?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  5. Oct 21, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The correct formula you asked about is

[tex]\vec a = -\mu_e \frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex]

[itex]\vec r [/itex] is the position vector of a satellite or any point-like mass with respect to the centre of Earth, and [itex]\vec a [/itex] is its gravitational acceleration. The formula is a special case of the Universal Law of Gravity,

[tex]\vec F = -G \frac{m_1 m_2 \vec r}{r^3}[/tex]

the force a point mass 1 exerts on an other point mass 2 at distance r. The force is parallel and opposite to the vector [itex]\vec r[/itex] pointing to mass 2 from mass 1.
    G is the gravitational constant G= 6.67259 ˙10-11 Nm2kg-2.

If the first mass is the Earth, Gm1=GMearthe.

ehild

6. Oct 21, 2011 #5
    Is that 'Gravitational Constant' the 'Universal Gravitational Constant (6.67*10-11' Nascent?

7. Oct 21, 2011 #6
    Ignore my above post.

That makes sense ehild! Because F = ma, a = F/m. You remove the mass of the satellite from your second formula and exchange F for a. Leaving you with a = G*mE*r/r3.

Thanks!

8. Oct 21, 2011 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All right, I see you got it.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook