What is your motivation for doing physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speakers' changing motivations for pursuing physics. One speaker was initially interested in physics as a way to help people and as the "noblest" physical science, but has since become disinterested. Another speaker is motivated by practical applications and the ability to solve problems using physical principles. A third speaker jokes about choosing physics to intimidate others.

What is your motivation for doing physics?

• It is interesting.

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • It will save humanity.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Because I would not do anything else with my life

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other reasons related to personal beliefs and/or religion

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Geremia
After having been rejected from all ten of the astronomy grad schools to which I applied and even a few years before my undergrad graduation in physics and astronomy, I have gradually become disinterested in pursuing a career in science. I started out very sure I would end up as a professional physicist with a PhD. Currently, I study optical physics in an engineering grad school, but physics nor engineering simply do not excite me anymore. Have any of you had a similar experience? Was it just burnout from undergrad?

My question is: What is your motivation for doing physics? Mine used to be "the utilitarian 'because physics, the noblest of the physical sciences, can help people'" or "because physics is interesting," but now I do not believe physics is humanity's savior, although it is the noblest physical science, and, as a result, physics has become less interesting to me. Classes have become just memorizing and regurgitating, and research is drudgery.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do it for the ladies.

I'm not a physicist, I'm in a professional life science program. I take physics to understand quantum theory eventually, because a simply "atoms like to obey the octet rule" doesn't do it for me. And because everything I do rests on chemistry, I'd better be sure what I'm learning really works.

tmc said:
I do it for the ladies.

Exactly!

I originally just wanted to be a well-rounded applied scientist.

But as I got deeper into the physics program, and went through several internships I discovered many interesting and practical areas of condensed matter physics, including biophotonics applications and micro machining.

I'm also learning about how useful physics can be - taking a situation you know little to nothing about, and applying a few physical principles that lead you to make open-minded shots at a solution to a problem. It's also cool just to know what makes things tick.

So it started as physics with a vague purpose and ended up as physics with a handful of specific purposes in addition to a new appreciation for the field.

What else would I do?

tmc said:
I do it for the ladies.

:rofl: I chose it to intimidate guys!

1. What sparked your interest in physics?

Growing up, I was always fascinated by the natural world and how things worked. I was particularly drawn to the laws and principles that govern the physical world, and this curiosity eventually led me to pursue a career in physics.

2. What motivates you to continue studying physics?

The feeling of constantly uncovering new knowledge and understanding the fundamental workings of the universe is incredibly exciting and fulfilling. Additionally, the potential for real-world applications and advancements in technology drives me to continue studying and pushing the boundaries of physics.

3. How do you stay motivated during challenging research projects?

During challenging research projects, I remind myself of the bigger picture and the impact that my work could have on the scientific community and the world. I also find inspiration and motivation from collaborating with other scientists and discussing ideas and approaches to overcoming obstacles.

4. What role do you see physics playing in society?

Physics plays a crucial role in society, from understanding and predicting natural phenomena to developing technologies that improve our daily lives. Physics also has the potential to solve some of the world's most pressing issues, such as climate change and renewable energy sources.

5. How do you balance your scientific curiosity with practical applications?

As a scientist, I believe it is important to strike a balance between pure curiosity-driven research and applied research. While curiosity-driven research expands our understanding of the world, applied research allows us to use that knowledge to create practical solutions and advancements in technology. Both are essential for the progress and growth of the scientific community.