Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering What kind of engineering for this field?

  1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    So a while back i heard that mechanical engineering has a lot of overlap in terms of curriculum/work with aerospace engineering, another field im curious about is marine engineering.

    Up here in canada there arent a whole lot of schools offering aerospace/marine engineering

    So my question is what kind of engineering is similar to or has overlap with marine engineering?

  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Mechanical or civil/structural engineering. Basically marine engineering is mechanical engineering applied to marine systems - boats, ships, off-shore platforums, or power or control systems used therein.

    If one is interested in wind-power systems, e.g., sailboats, then aerospace/aeronautical engineering would be appropriate. But one would also need the hydraulics/fluid mechanics from mechanical engineering.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook