What kind of program to enter into?

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the individual is asking if they can switch from a physics program to an engineering program in their second year of college. They have contacted their school counselor and have researched the requirements for the engineering program. They are also considering applying to the physics program as a backup option. However, they have been advised to directly contact the faculty of engineering for more information and have successfully been accepted into the program. Overall, the key is to meet the necessary requirements and demonstrate a willingness to work hard.
dontdisturbmycircles
edit again: My question basically boils down to this, I graduate from high school in june. If I get into a physics program with and make sure I get calc I and calc II, I should be able to transfer to an engineering program my 2nd year right? I phoned my school counsellor about this and they didn't know.. lol

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that generally switching into an engineering program your second year from a physics program wouldn't be that difficult; assuming that the gen. physics class doesn't have a particular registration set up for just engineering students (my school has this, they call it physics 221-223, physics for science and engineering majors, but it is actually the same class as the general physics with calculus course (it is actually at the same time by the same teacher in the same room), however, it is for 1 less credit and as such students from that registration are not expected to stay the whole time, but are allowed if they wish).

The best thing to do is to look up the engineering school's requirements and make sure you are fitting all of them in your physics program. But I would generally, forsee little issue with switching the programs. At least that early on.

I think you are right. Supposedly the physics program offers "Calculus for scientists and engineers" and "Linear algebra for scientists and engineers". Which are part of the first year engineering program, so I think that the physics program will work nicely if I don't directly get into the faculty of eng. Thanks!

Why are you trying to get into physics first, and then switch to engineering? Generally, at most schools, engineering is a larger department and is easier to get into than physics.

- Warren

I ended up choosing the first year engineering program as my first option and physics as my second option if I am denied for the engineering faculty.

The admissions averages for frosh admission to engineering are a bit higher than physics, but we'll see what happens. :) I am not 100% sure as to the number of seats in the faculty of science for physics students but there are only 600 for first year engineering. (Although I suppose that is quite a few).

At any rate, my marks should guarantee me admission into physics according to admissions averages alone. I just want to guarantee that if I do end up in the physics program that it won't be too hard to get out of it the next year and into engineering.

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
I just want to guarantee that if I do end up in the physics program that it won't be too hard to get out of it the next year and into engineering.

The answer surely depends on which university you're thinking about.

Best of luck to you, dontdisturbmycircles. :biggrin:

- Warren

Thankyou Chroot, I phoned the faculty of engineering today and I guess it doesn't really matter what faculty you come from, as long as you present a good GPA and have the relevant high school subjects under your belt. They just want to know that you are willing to work hard. Hopefully I just get straight into engineering, that would be nice :cool:

I applied to the faculty of engineering and was accepted. I am surprised, thank you Chroot! :)

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
I applied to the faculty of engineering and was accepted. I am surprised, thank you Chroot! :)
Good example of taking direct action and directly contacting the people that really matter. Well done!

Related to What kind of program to enter into?

1. What kind of program should I enter into?

The program you should enter into will depend on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It's important to consider your passions and what you excel at, as well as the job market and potential salary for different programs.

2. Should I choose a specialized program or a general program?

This decision will depend on your career goals and personal preferences. Specialized programs offer in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, while general programs provide a broader education. Consider what type of job you want after graduation and what kind of education will best prepare you for it.

3. How long will it take to complete a program?

The length of a program can vary depending on the level of education and the specific program. For example, a bachelor's degree typically takes 4 years to complete, while a master's degree can take 1-2 years. It's important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine the length of time it will take to complete.

4. What is the cost of the program?

The cost of a program can vary greatly and will depend on factors such as the type of program, the institution, and any financial aid or scholarships you may receive. It's important to research the cost of different programs and consider your budget and potential financial assistance before making a decision.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a program?

The career opportunities available after completing a program will depend on the specific program and your individual skills and experience. It's important to research the job market for different programs and consider your career goals when choosing a program. You can also reach out to alumni or professionals in your desired field for more information on potential career paths.