What kind of rubber is "Environmentally Friendly Rubber Material"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jake jot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Material Rubber
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
jake jot
Messages
302
Reaction score
17
How many kinds of rubber are there? And what does "Environment Friendly Rubber Material" mean? Hundreds of thousands of babies put these in their mouth and lick them continuously.
toy abs with rubber.jpg
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_rubber#Varieties

But there are no language police to prevent marketing campaigns from using the word rubber for almost anything. I don't think we will be able to give you a specific answer unless you give us the identity of the specific product.
front label.jpg


label zoom.jpg


back label.jpg


These are made in china. Does anyone know how to read chinese here? Some PF members from China?
 
anorlunda said:
But there are no language police to prevent marketing campaigns from using the word rubber for almost anything.
Nor the term "environmentally friendly". When I clicked the thread title/link, I found the question is about safety, not the environment. They are totally different things - in some ways, even opposites.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander, anorlunda and hutchphd
Note these toys made in china are sold in amazon and the USA and millions worldwide use them. So we need to identity the exact ingredients.

I tried to google food grade rubber and I saw this.

https://www.aquasealrubber.co.uk/products/food-grade-rubber/

rubbers list.JPG


I let someone with access to a Raman spectrometer scan it.

Raman of unknown rubber.JPG


I tried to match the above to each spectrum of the list. No match. Can anyone give all lists of rubbers so I can match? Does rubber come with alloys meaning they mixed different thing to make the rubber in the toy?

Also what molecule is the peak close to 3000 cm-1 ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker
jake jot said:
Note these toys made in china are sold in amazon and the USA and millions worldwide use them. So we need to identity the exact ingredients.
Who is we?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pbuk, russ_watters and Tom.G
I think the question that needs to be answered is 'is this product safe for an infant child?' We cannot answer this on PhysicsForums.

It would not be legal for Amazon or anyone else to import or sell this product in the UK or anywhere in Europe.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara