What Happens When You Bombard a Rubber Ball with Electrons?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysicsInNJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Electrons Rubber
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
PhysicsInNJ
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
A friend of mine posed a question; if you take a rubber ball and bombard it with electrons, what would happen?

I posited that some of the electrons would likely stay on the surface of the ball, giving it a negative charge. I then suggested that if under the "right" conditions you may be able to have photons or some other kind of electromagnetic radiation emitted.

Am I totally off or was there some truth to what I was saying?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could certainly induce a negative surface charge.
The EM is also true, if only because "some kind of EM radiation" covers such a wide range.
By the time you got "real" EM out of the thing, you would be destroying the rubber.

... now switch to a steel ball and you can get some significant x-rays.

BTW: You should do these experiments in a vacuum.