What kind of statistic methods?

• Thread starter sobored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of comparing two different samples, one with 5 untreated/control samples and the other with 50 treated samples. The speaker is unsure of which statistic methods to use, as ANOVA requires at least 3 different samples and both t-test and z-test have specific requirements for sample size. The speaker also mentions a potential issue with t-values becoming less reliable with more data in regression analysis.
sobored
Okey, i am confused about this matter.

I have two different samples. One is 5 untreated/control samples (same kind) and the other is a 50 treated samples (same kind). I wonder what kind of statistic methods i can use to compare the results between them? I don't think that i can use ANOVA, since they need at least 3 different samples.

Besides i can not use T-test or Z-test either, since the former needs both samples to be at a small number n<30, while the latter needs both samples to be large n>30. My samples is n=5 (controll samples) and n=50 (treated samples).

Hope for inputs.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
So what you're saying about t test (that it requires n < 30) implies that more observations you have, more biased your test results will be.

For example in regression analysis, t values are ordinarily printed with the coefficient estimates. But the more data you have, the less reliable those t values will be, according to your claim.

That is not the impression I have.

See http://edu.ag.uidaho.edu/critical/p_st.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using statistical methods?

Statistical methods are used to analyze and interpret data in a systematic and objective manner. They help researchers make sense of large amounts of data and draw meaningful conclusions from it.

2. What are some common statistical methods used in research?

Some common statistical methods used in research include descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, correlation and regression analysis, and hypothesis testing.

3. How do I choose the appropriate statistical method for my research?

The appropriate statistical method for your research will depend on the type of data you have, your research question, and your study design. Consulting with a statistician or conducting a literature review can help you determine the best method for your study.

4. What are some potential limitations of using statistical methods?

Some limitations of using statistical methods include the assumption of a normal distribution, potential bias in the data, and the possibility of making incorrect conclusions due to chance. It is important to carefully consider these limitations and use multiple methods to validate results.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my statistical analysis?

To ensure the accuracy of your statistical analysis, it is important to use reliable and valid data, carefully select appropriate statistical methods, and thoroughly check for any errors or inconsistencies in your data. It can also be helpful to have your analysis reviewed by a colleague or statistician.