1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology What kinds of internships in biotech/Med should I look for?

1. Aug 28, 2016 #1
    I'm on the pre-med path. My interest is human enhancement via gene therapy, electronic prosthetics, and both internal/external medical devices.

I'm also interested in the creative business and entrepreneurial ends of these technologies.

Any advice on what specific kinds of internships I should look for?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2
    Human enhancement through GM is not going to happen in a long long time.

Electronic prosthetics is electrical engineering.

Medical devices depend on the nature of that device. MRI depends on being an expert in the physics of NMR, for example.

Maybe you need to research this some more, reorganize your thoughts, then ask the same question in a different way.
    But maybe I can give three different suggestion.

-Look into some project using CRISP/Cas9. Molecular biology is a field on it's own. CRISP/Cas9 can be the subject of research or just a tool. But when you are interested in gene therapy, this is currently the most interesting thing. Besides that, maybe Adeno-associated virus. Either way you can get some sense of gene expression and regulation, promoters, proteins, central dogma of biology and it's nuances.

-Get a project where you work on building an (electrical) device. Any device. You aren't in an engineering programme, right? And not sure if you have the right background. But if you want to be an engineer working on a small aspect of building a device, best way is to do it. Note that the building of a device will be cut up into 100 pieces, and they will all be solved/completed independently.

-Get any internship at any company involved in medicine that does stuff you find interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted