Jobs combining medicine, nanotech, and cybernetics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interests in future technologies such as nanotech, cybernetics, and artificial intelligence, but they are also considering a career in medicine. They are concerned about the lack of technological focus in medical school and are considering a major in molecular biology or biology with a minor in neuroscience. They are seeking advice on potentially combining their interests in technology and medicine.
TranscedentKid
My interests lie in what is apparently coming next-- the future of nanotech, cybernetics, artificial intelligence, and the "transhuman" era.

My family has been encouraging me to go pre-med-- people will always need a doctor.

However, I've learned that in Med school, there isn't much of an effort to connect the biology with the technological aspect of things. I'd have to do outside research.

The college I'm going to offers molecular biology, biology, computer science, physics, a minor in neuroscience (as far the science stuff I'm ultimately interested in) and is very strong on the business end of things.

I've told that the career path I should take is neuroscience/computer science. The problem with that is neuroscience is only a minor there. I'm thinking that molecular bio or just bio will suffice until I can specialize in grad school.Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Artificial intelligence mainly falls under computer science and electrical engineering. You may also look into biomedical engineering. From my understanding, there can be quite an overlap between electrical and biomedical engineering (to the point that many graduate programs in EE have biomedical concentrations).

Well, to my understanding, M.Ds are more respected than PHDs in this country, for whatever reason. Until they make an overlapping program with medicine and biomedical engineering, this could be a little more complicated.

1. What exactly is a job that combines medicine, nanotech, and cybernetics?

A job that combines medicine, nanotech, and cybernetics is one that involves the integration and application of all three fields in order to improve medical treatments and technologies. This could include developing nanoscale devices that can be used for targeted drug delivery, creating cybernetic prosthetics that mimic natural body movements, or using artificial intelligence to analyze medical data and assist in diagnosis and treatment.

2. What qualifications or education are required for a job in this field?

Typically, a job in this field would require a combination of education and experience in all three fields. A degree in medicine, such as an MD or DO, would be necessary to understand the medical aspect. A background in nanotechnology or biomedical engineering would provide the necessary knowledge of nanoscale materials and devices. And training in computer science and/or artificial intelligence would be beneficial for understanding cybernetic systems and data analysis.

3. What are some specific job titles that fall under this category?

Some examples of job titles that combine medicine, nanotech, and cybernetics include: biomedical engineer, medical scientist, nanotechnology researcher, prosthetics designer, medical data analyst, and artificial intelligence engineer.

4. Are there any ethical concerns associated with this type of job?

As with any field that involves cutting-edge technology and advancements, there are always ethical concerns to consider. In this case, some potential concerns could include the safety and effectiveness of using nanotechnology and cybernetics in medical treatments, the potential for unequal access to these treatments, and the ethical implications of using artificial intelligence in medical decision-making.

5. What are the potential benefits of a job in this field?

A job that combines medicine, nanotech, and cybernetics has the potential to greatly impact and improve the field of medicine. Some potential benefits could include more precise and effective treatments, advancements in prosthetics and medical devices, and improved data analysis for medical research. Additionally, this field offers the opportunity to work at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and make a difference in the lives of patients.