1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs combining medicine, nanotech, and cybernetics?

1. Apr 27, 2015 #1
    My interests lie in what is apparently coming next-- the future of nanotech, cybernetics, artificial intelligence, and the "transhuman" era.

My family has been encouraging me to go pre-med-- people will always need a doctor.

However, I've learned that in Med school, there isn't much of an effort to connect the biology with the technological aspect of things. I'd have to do outside research.

The college I'm going to offers molecular biology, biology, computer science, physics, a minor in neuroscience (as far the science stuff I'm ultimately interested in) and is very strong on the business end of things.

I've told that the career path I should take is neuroscience/computer science. The problem with that is neuroscience is only a minor there. I'm thinking that molecular bio or just bio will suffice until I can specialize in grad school.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2015 #2
    Artificial intelligence mainly falls under computer science and electrical engineering. You may also look into biomedical engineering. From my understanding, there can be quite an overlap between electrical and biomedical engineering (to the point that many graduate programs in EE have biomedical concentrations).

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    Well, to my understanding, M.Ds are more respected than PHDs in this country, for whatever reason. Until they make an overlapping program with medicine and biomedical engineering, this could be a little more complicated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook