1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What makes Mech. Engineers versatile ?

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    What makes Mech. Engineers "versatile"?

Hello, Physics Forums.

I was interested into knowing what made a mechanical engineer versatile, as I have read? And would pursing Mechanical engineering in school help me to fulfill a possible career(after futher education) in robotics? I have a strong interests in physics, mechanics, but also automation. Also, what can a Mechanical engineer contribute to a world of robotics with his education?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: What makes Mech. Engineers "versatile"?

I don't think anything makes a mechanical engineer versatile. That's a property of the person, not the job or degree.

4. Nov 4, 2011 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A mechanical engineer must be inquisitive and willing to confront every impractical and unsound assumption they encounter. Diplomacy and salesmanship are invaluable skills. I found that encouraging the boss to think it was his idea [how hard is that?] is a win-win proposition. Every boss enjoys being surrounded by people who make them feel smart and creative.

5. Nov 4, 2011 #4

so a mechanical engineering is no longer about gears-levers-pushrods and sprockets? ...let me tell you about the rest...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook