• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What makes Mech. Engineers versatile ?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Life-Like
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What makes Mech. Engineers "versatile"?

Hello, Physics Forums.

I was interested into knowing what made a mechanical engineer versatile, as I have read? And would pursing Mechanical engineering in school help me to fulfill a possible career(after futher education) in robotics? I have a strong interests in physics, mechanics, but also automation. Also, what can a Mechanical engineer contribute to a world of robotics with his education?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award

I don't think anything makes a mechanical engineer versatile. That's a property of the person, not the job or degree.

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member

A mechanical engineer must be inquisitive and willing to confront every impractical and unsound assumption they encounter. Diplomacy and salesmanship are invaluable skills. I found that encouraging the boss to think it was his idea [how hard is that?] is a win-win proposition. Every boss enjoys being surrounded by people who make them feel smart and creative.

A mechanical engineer must be inquisitive and willing to confront every impractical and unsound assumption they encounter. Diplomacy and salesmanship are invaluable skills. I found that encouraging the boss to think it was his idea [how hard is that?] is a win-win proposition. Every boss enjoys being surrounded by people who make them feel smart and creative.
so a mechanical engineering is no longer about gears-levers-pushrods and sprockets? ...let me tell you about the rest...