What motivates urban climbers to risk their lives for extreme stunts?

• Thread starter fourthindiana
  • Start date
In summary: I replied without watching the entire video collage. I personally see a distinction between free climbers and the machine riders. Trying to outrace trains belies underlying sociopathy IMO.
fourthindiana
I'm fascinated by several videos I've seen on the internet of this subculture of people called "urban climbers". Urban climbers will climb skyscrapers and other dangerously high objects without any safety harnesses or safety nets or any safety equipment of any kind and do all types of death defying stunts on them.

I'm especially interested in the person at 1:18 on the following video. He does a somersault on a skinny ledge hundreds of feet high and then makes big jumps from one tiny ledge to another at hundreds of feet. Are the people who do such deadly stunts on high buildings suicidal?

Are these people who do such stunts mentally ill?

________________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. Unfortunately the person at the beginning of the video clip is flipping the bird at the camera. I could not find this video clip of that particular climber anywhere else. I think everyone here will be mature enough not to take it personally though.

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
Are mountain climbers mentally ill?

Are race car drivers mentally ill?

The list goes on and on

phinds said:
Are mountain climbers mentally ill?

Are race car drivers mentally ill?

The list goes on and on
Mountain climbers and race car drivers don't hold a candle to the guy in the video I posted at 1:18. Watch it.

fourthindiana said:
Mountain climbers and race car drivers don't hold a candle to the guy in the video I posted at 1:18. Watch it.
It's a matter of degree, not substance.

phinds said:
It's a matter of degree, not substance.

That's your opinion.

fourthindiana said:
Are the people who do such deadly stunts on high buildings suicidal?

No. A person who is suicidal generally displays a different set of behaviors than the people who are engaged in high-risk physical activities such as this.

fourthindiana said:

Probably not.

fourthindiana said:
[...]Are the people who do such deadly stunts on high buildings suicidal? Are these people who do such stunts mentally ill?
No and No.
They are (usually) young adult males, confident in their ability, inured to heights, focused in the moment, playful, lucid and intelligent though possibly lacking empathy. If placed in a park on natural stone, the activity would be considered extreme sport. The urban setting with possibility of squishing some unwitting passerby provides a sharper contrast for the participant and viewers than a natural setting. Scrambling around skyscrapers is much less expensive and much more exciting than climbing 'rock walls' at the gym or scaling "El Capitan" for the nth time.

If pressed for a term, consider Ataraxia.

Klystron said:
No and No.
If pressed for a term, consider Ataraxia.

I replied without watching the entire video collage. I personally see a distinction between free climbers and the machine riders. Trying to outrace trains belies underlying sociopathy IMO.

The wikipedia entry on ataraxia waxes philosophical where the simpler explanation is, simply, control of fear. When hiking in groups, I noticed most people would shy away from cliffs. A few of us would laugh and jump and slide from point to point with little fear of falling but highly concentrated on finding the correct path down and up. I enjoyed this from ~ages 14 to 30 with only a few scrapes and poison oak. We were the trail-cutters, the pathfinders; usually cautious even quiet in other ways.

Klystron said:
I replied without watching the entire video collage. I personally see a distinction between free climbers and the machine riders. Trying to outrace trains belies underlying sociopathy IMO.

Assuming nobody else was in the car trying to outrace a train other than the driver, how does trying to outrace trains belie underlying sociopathy?

Carefree, maybe. I think these people wouldn't be doing these things if they didn't have utter confidence in their ability, a safety rope wouldn't hurt, but maybe I'm being a wuss . Urban climbers have died doing their thang, also. I think a suicidal person would much rather call it quits than challenge him or herself.

Likes Klystron
fourthindiana said:
Assuming nobody else was in the car trying to outrace a train other than the driver, how does trying to outrace trains belie underlying sociopathy?
Well, ignoring the passengers, crew, cargo, the train itself, the future safety of the tracks, the people living on the other side of the tracks invisible to the driver, the expectation of the commuters on the roads; even the expectation of survival of the public employees tasked with keeping roads and railroad tracks safe indicates at least ignorance and indifference to others.

I personally see a grave difference between scaling heights, base jumping, sky dives, etc., where the risks are understood and minimized; and deliberately courting disaster and risking the uninformed by trashing trains. A true warrior would (at least) eschew the automobile and outrace or jump from the moving train, the latter activity common in the 19th and 20th Century. While shocking and inconveniencing other people, it only risks the life of the actor.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and Ophiolite
Klystron said:
Well, ignoring the passengers, crew, cargo, the train itself, the future safety of the tracks, the people living on the other side of the tracks invisible to the driver, the expectation of the commuters on the roads; even the expectation of survival of the public employees tasked with keeping roads and railroad tracks safe indicates at least ignorance and indifference to others.

Apparently you need a lesson on who wins when a train crashes into a car.

• Sad
Likes phinds and Klystron
A completely different question whether this kind of thing is allowed or considered hooliganism or whatnot. I wouldn't want someone dangling on my skyscrapers without safety gear and a permit and potentially supervision. I'm too much of a wuss, I think .. :sorry:

Likes Klystron
Definitely a question of moral values. I admire free divers and snorkelers, respect careful scuba and cave divers, admire the cliff divers shown in the video; despise idiots racing boats where others are safely enjoying the water.

fourthindiana said:
This anthropomorphizes the train. No one 'wins'. Any crash or unplanned braking could derail the train engines leading to catastrophic failure. Big difference from dangling from a tall crane.

Do your own research. A train left unattended parked on a side track nearly destroyed a town in Quebec when the brakes failed or were released.

fourthindiana said:

Look for Ueli Steck and Eiger North Face.

These guys don't hold a candle to Ueli.

Or, Alex Honnold.

fourthindiana said:
I don't know who wins, but the train driver usually gets a few month long free ticket to a psychologist - and they do need it after a crash.

fourthindiana said:
Are the people who do such deadly stunts on high buildings suicidal?

Definitely not suicidal: that's a very different status of mind. These people has a very strong will to live - and to feel that they alive. It is just under normal conditions they don't feel it strong enough. Google up 'adrenaline addiction'. As far as I know it is not considered as illness.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
fourthindiana said:
Lessons are useful for all of us. In this example ten passengers on the train died after encountering a car. The car was not on the track because of daredevil drivers, but the end result of this car and train contradicts your belief. Everyone loses.

Likes Klystron
fourthindiana said:
I am not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with @Klystron here, since I haven't looked at it and I didn't know about the concept of outracing trains. But in addition to what Klystron writes in post #11 another trait of sociopathy (ASPD) is risk taking which is part of disinhibition.

When it comes to urban climbing, which I am aware of and have read a couple of sad articles about, I think it is an unnecessarily risky activity if it is done without safety gear. Too many young people have died from this trying to get the "perfect shot" for social media. In these cases, I'd say it's lethal attention seeking behavior, and very, very sad.

Edit:
Here are two articles:
and for more google for "urban climber death".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Klystron

1. What is urban climbing?

Urban climbing, also known as urban exploration or urbex, is the act of exploring and climbing tall buildings, structures, and other man-made urban environments. It is often done without permission and can involve climbing, crawling, and traversing through difficult and dangerous terrain.

2. Why are people fascinated by urban climbers?

People are fascinated by urban climbers because it is a thrilling and adrenaline-fueled activity that allows individuals to explore and conquer seemingly impossible structures and locations. It also offers a unique perspective and view of the urban landscape that is not often seen by the general public.

3. Is urban climbing dangerous?

Yes, urban climbing can be very dangerous and should only be done by experienced and trained individuals. Climbers often face risks such as falls, structural collapse, electrocution, and encounters with security or law enforcement. Safety precautions and proper training are essential to reduce the risk of injury or death.

4. What are the ethical considerations of urban climbing?

There are many ethical considerations surrounding urban climbing, as it often involves trespassing and potentially damaging property. Some argue that it is a form of vandalism and poses a threat to public safety. However, others argue that it is a way to reclaim and explore abandoned or neglected urban spaces.

5. Are there any benefits to urban climbing?

While urban climbing is a controversial activity, some argue that it offers physical and mental challenges that can improve physical fitness and problem-solving skills. It also allows individuals to connect with their surroundings in a unique way and can serve as a form of artistic expression. However, the risks and ethical concerns should always be carefully considered before engaging in urban climbing.