What particular integral should I use for SODE cosh2x

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the homework statement asks for the solution of y'' + 6y' + 8y = 12cosh2x. The attempt at a solution involves finding a complementary function of Ae^-2x + Be^-4x and a particular integral of Ee^2x + (F+Gx)e^-2x. However, there is confusion about why Ee^2x + (F+Gx)e^-2x is considered the correct PI and not Ee^2x + Fxe^-2x.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been asked to find the solution of y'' + 6y' + 8y = 12cosh2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the complmentry function is Ae^-2x + Be^-4x

This creates a problem when trying our PI because we cannot try Ccosh2x and Dsinh2x because the hyperbolic functions contain e^-2x, which appears in our CF. Apparently I should try a PI of Ee^2x + (F+Gx)e^-2x, but I cannot see where on Earth this comes from? Why can't I try Ee^2x + Fxe^-2x. It must be simple :\

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi thomas49th! :wink:
thomas49th said:
This creates a problem when trying our PI because we cannot try Ccosh2x and Dsinh2x because the hyperbolic functions contain e^-2x, which appears in our CF. Apparently I should try a PI of Ee^2x + (F+Gx)e^-2x, but I cannot see where on Earth this comes from? Why can't I try Ee^2x + Fxe^-2x. It must be simple :\

yes, i think you're right :smile:

if Ee2x + (F+Gx)e-2x is a PI, then so is Ee2x + Gxe-2x

any solution is a PI ! :rolleyes:

1. What is a particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function?

A particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function is a function that satisfies the differential equation and any initial conditions given. It is used to find the general solution of the differential equation.

2. How do I determine which particular integral to use for a SODE cosh2x function?

The particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function can be determined by using the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve substituting a trial solution into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients.

3. Can I use any particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function?

No, the particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function must be chosen based on the form of the function and the differential equation. It must also satisfy any initial conditions given.

4. How do I know if my particular integral is correct for a SODE cosh2x function?

If your particular integral satisfies the differential equation and any initial conditions given, then it is correct. You can also check by substituting the particular integral into the differential equation and seeing if it simplifies to the original function.

5. Is there a shortcut for finding the particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function?

No, finding the particular integral for a SODE cosh2x function requires following the steps of the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. However, with practice, you may become more efficient in determining the trial solutions and solving for the coefficients.