Pressure and Strain: Calculation of Max Allowable Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of maximum allowable pressure and strain on a cylindrical vessel with strain gauges installed. The maximum allowable pressure with a factor of safety of 4 is 0.75 Mpa, and a strain of 40 με would indicate a pressure of 0.0008367398 Mpa. However, there may be algebra problems with the final equation and the use of the Poisson ratio is unclear. It is recommended to continue the discussion in the previous thread for further clarification.
electr

Homework Statement

A cylindrical vessel 2m internal diameter and 4m long has a wall thickness of 6mm. Strain gauges are installed on the vessel to measure hoop strain (see FIG 6).

1)What is the maximum allowable pressure if a factor of safety of 4 is to be used?
2 )What pressure would a strain of 40 με indicate?

Homework Equations

σ= pr/t for question 1
and for question 2
εο= σο - uσz/E
σο = P X r /t and σz = P x r /2t

εο =0.00004
r = 1 m
t = 0.006 M
E = 290 GN

The Attempt at a Solution

for the 1 part i found it 0.75 Mpa

for part 2 i work it

εo = σo - σz /E

so
P = (290000/ 1/0.006 - 0.3 x 1/2 x 0.006) x 0.00004 = 0.0008367398 Mpa

is any of the above correct?if not i would like your advice,thank you in advance

Attachments

• pic.pdf
    151.7 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a duplicate of a previous thread. Is it, and, if so, why have you not just continued the previous thread? Also, there are algebra problems with your final equation.

i didnt know i had to continue from the previous thread,i should go there then and post my questions?i can't understand the algebra problem,just put the numbers in the equation,is this not right?tha part 2 is the one that i had difficulties,didnt know how to solve without the poison ratio,...any advice?

1. What is the definition of pressure and strain?

Pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area on a surface. Strain is the measure of deformation or change in shape of an object under stress.

2. How is pressure and strain measured?

Pressure is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). Strain is measured as a percentage or decimal value, representing the amount of deformation in a material.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and strain?

The relationship between pressure and strain is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the strain in a material is directly proportional to the applied stress (pressure) within the elastic limit of the material. This means that as pressure increases, so does strain.

4. How do you calculate the maximum allowable pressure for a material?

The maximum allowable pressure for a material can be calculated using the material's yield strength and a safety factor. The formula is P = S x F, where P is the maximum allowable pressure, S is the yield strength of the material, and F is the safety factor (typically 2 or 3).

5. What factors can affect the maximum allowable pressure for a material?

The maximum allowable pressure for a material can be affected by several factors, including the material's strength, temperature, thickness, and corrosion resistance. Other factors such as external forces and environmental conditions may also play a role in determining the maximum allowable pressure for a material.