1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagrams?

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    Hey does anyone know what prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagram for mass transfer.

Particularly one thats downloadable :P.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2
    Rather easy to do yourself.
    You just need the thermodynamic data.
    Start then by modelling one equilibrium stage with a short program, then re-use it for a multiple stage.
    The counter-current aspect may introduce some additional difficulty, but it should be easy to overcome with a bit of time and strategy.
    Without garantee, I could think a bit further if you gave me more detail about the system you are stuying.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. May 1, 2007 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The major problem for me was plotting the equilibrium data on the graph. (ie, y vs x, H -x -y and N - x -y plots). Once you fit a curve through the data points and print it, the rest of the construction can easily be done with a pencil

5. May 1, 2007 #4
    Cheers. Ah yeh I know its easy enough to do by hand.. but yeh I'm looking for very accurate results. Thats the only reason I wanted to know if it could be done via a program.

6. May 1, 2007 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're interested, I found this site with some free software on the mccabe thiele method.
    http://www.familiataboada.com/IQ/page4.html
    I've not used it, so I don't know how reliable or safe the software is.

Anyway, in my experience, solving by hand usually gives pretty accurate answers.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?