Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagrams?

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    Hey does anyone know what prgram you could use to draw a ponchon and mccabe diagram for mass transfer.

Particularly one thats downloadable :P.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2
    Rather easy to do yourself.
    You just need the thermodynamic data.
    Start then by modelling one equilibrium stage with a short program, then re-use it for a multiple stage.
    The counter-current aspect may introduce some additional difficulty, but it should be easy to overcome with a bit of time and strategy.
    Without garantee, I could think a bit further if you gave me more detail about the system you are stuying.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. May 1, 2007 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The major problem for me was plotting the equilibrium data on the graph. (ie, y vs x, H -x -y and N - x -y plots). Once you fit a curve through the data points and print it, the rest of the construction can easily be done with a pencil

5. May 1, 2007 #4
    Cheers. Ah yeh I know its easy enough to do by hand.. but yeh I'm looking for very accurate results. Thats the only reason I wanted to know if it could be done via a program.

6. May 1, 2007 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're interested, I found this site with some free software on the mccabe thiele method.
    http://www.familiataboada.com/IQ/page4.html
    I've not used it, so I don't know how reliable or safe the software is.

Anyway, in my experience, solving by hand usually gives pretty accurate answers.

Last edited: May 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?