What should be molten Lead Fluoride or Crayolite Contained In? (Best Crucible)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Panthera Leo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lead
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Panthera Leo
Messages
108
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I am willing to do some experiments with molten Lead Fluoride and Crayolite in an electric muffle furnace, but I am not sure what type of crucible to use? Platinum Crucibles are way too expensive and I am assuming Alumina Crucible is not suitable... so, are there any other alternatives?

Thank You.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried graphite?

Alumina would work in theory, as it has a higher melting point than either cryolite or PbF2, but then again it depends on your maximum process temperature and what you're trying to accomplish.
 
Graphite seems like a good alternative... Thanks.

I am trying to synthesize Corundum Crystals. :)

This is a similar experiment:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0022024874904011

My maximum operating temperature will be below 1200 celsius.

How about a Zirconia Crucible ?

Is cryolite able to dissolve Zirconia / Graphite like it does with Alumina? I couldn't find any phase diagrams online...

Thanks again. I highly appreciate your contributions.
 
This is why I like replying to threads - I always learn something!

I've never actually worked with cryolite, and hadn't looked into its usefulness. Not sure of it's compatibility with those materials and would have to research it myself.