What should be my first QFT book? I'm an experimentalist ^_^

• Thread starter joechien0218
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qft
In summary: I would recommend looking at "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder, as well as "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen Blundell. Both provide a good introduction to QFT for beginners with a focus on particle physics.
joechien0218
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone out there could give your recommendation as to what my first QFT book should be considering that I'm an experimentalist interested in particle physics.

Having said that, obviously the goal is to quickly understand the "derivations" of Feynman rules and be able to calculate cross sections and decay rates as pertain to particle physics.

I generally like theories, but only at the adequate amount, just well enough to be able to converse with a theorists.

Any recommendation?

Thank you and I really appreciate your help!

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try http://www.oup.com/uk/catalogue/?ci=9780198520740#contents" by Michele Maggiore. If this doesn't have enought detail, then An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory by Peskin and Schroeder is a standard text for grad QFT courses. Quantum Theory in a Nushell by Zee is nice book for learning *about* quantum field theory, but probably isn't a good book for learning how to do calculations.

I was going to tell you to have a look first at your library's copy of Maggiore, but I just checked, and someone already has it out.

Hopefully, other people will chime in with further suggestions and comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
The references given by George are already quite good.

To suggest further ones, I know of Quarks and Leptons: Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics, by Francis Halzen, Alan D. Martin, or Introduction to Elementary Particles by David Griffiths which are very popular. Diagrammatica by Martinus Veltman is more rigourus to derive the rules.

In fact, there are so many references that it is difficult to provide an objective "best" choice.

Hi,

I've just read Griffiths...and I've heard Martin's text is roughly at about the same level as Griffiths. I think I'm ready to go a step higher now and I'd like to learn QFT in a semi-formal sense.

I did some research about the book by Peskin/Schroeder. At amazon.com, it doesn't seem to receive good reviews and many simply call it a "good reference if you know the stuff, but terrible for beginners".

I recently checked out a book by Mandl/Shaw, it seems pretty good at first sight.

Does anyone have this book or is it your first QFT book? Any opinions as to whether or not I should begin with this book?

Mandel & Shaw or Aitcheson & Hey are both good texts for QFT, I used them both while I was in grad school.

joechien0218 said:
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone out there could give your recommendation as to what my first QFT book should be considering that I'm an experimentalist interested in particle physics.

Having said that, obviously the goal is to quickly understand the "derivations" of Feynman rules and be able to calculate cross sections and decay rates as pertain to particle physics.

I generally like theories, but only at the adequate amount, just well enough to be able to converse with a theorists.

Any recommendation?

Thank you and I really appreciate your help!

Joe

I would recommend Srednicki's book. A draft version if available for free online:

http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/ms-qft-DRAFT.pdf

Go to the FNAL and CERN webcast sites,and stay there.The streaming videos from FNAL are wonderful.The series of lectures by R.Kleiss from the CERN Webcast service,although not the highest quality,are very good on focusing on the field theory that particle physicists need.Good stuff,...

1. What is the best QFT book for experimentalists?

There is no one "best" QFT book for experimentalists as different books may cater to different learning styles and backgrounds. It is recommended to research and read reviews to determine which book may be the most suitable for your needs.

2. What background knowledge is necessary before delving into QFT?

A strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics is necessary before studying QFT. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of special relativity and linear algebra.

3. How do I know if a QFT book is suitable for experimentalists?

Most QFT books will specify in the title or description if it is meant for experimentalists. You can also look for books that have a focus on applications and experimental techniques rather than just theory.

4. Are there any online resources for learning QFT as an experimentalist?

Yes, there are many online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses that can supplement your learning from a textbook. It is recommended to use a combination of resources to aid in your understanding.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand QFT as an experimentalist?

A solid understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary for understanding QFT. However, it is not necessary to have an advanced mathematical background as many QFT books and resources are written with experimentalists in mind.