What should I read to get ahead?

• Thread starter Wakarimasen
  • Start date
In summary, a 16-year-old English high school student is looking to advance their knowledge of physics outside of their education. They have a limited understanding of mathematical concepts but have read some popular science books on physics. Recommendations are given to start studying calculus first before tackling more advanced physics concepts. A book on calculus using an alternative approach is suggested, and the importance of having a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry is emphasized.
Wakarimasen
Greetings!

I'm an English Secondary School (Basically the same as High School) student of 16 years. I'm currently in the middle of my summer holiday after completing my GCSEs ('General Certificate of Secondary Education'). Next year I move on to my A-levels (physics included of course).

My literal understanding of physics covers most widely notable areas (classical, relativity, quantum theory, string theory) to an extent, but my mathematical knowledge is very limited.

I am currently reading/have read various light books on physics such as;
Brief History of Time - Hawking
The Meaning of it All - Feynman
Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays - Hawking
The Universe in a Nutshell - Hawking

I am wondering where I should go from here; I want to advance my knowledge of physics independent of the pace of my education, and start to put maths behind the theories. The Feynman Lectures on Physics seemed a good option to start with , but is there something I should read first? Or is the content far too advanced for my level? Something else?

I'm interested to see your opinions, recommendations for educational materials, and perhaps advice if you've "been there; done that".
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would look at the Tsokos book Physics for the IB Diploma. Its high-school physics but with more content and uses Calculus to describe things. That means of course that you need to understand Calculus and how its used.

The light reading is good but even Physics students will tell you it leaves much to be desired. You don't fully learn how to connect the dots between results and the actual theory and are left hanging. I used to have this problem when I read these kinds of books as an undergrad Physics major.

If you want to learn real physics, then you should probably start studying with the math. Sure, there are algebra based physics books that you can read right now. But why not actually learn calculus now? I recommend the Keisler book for you, it's free: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html
It's a very well written book and makes calculus really easy (it's not dumbed down at all though). This is because it follows a highly nonstandard approach to calculus with infinitesimals. This is how calculus was first invented and how people have done it for centuries. It is also an approach that is very suitable for physics (way more suitable than the abstract approach that mathematicians follow now). A word of warning though, if you ever read another calculus book or take another calculus class, then you might find that things are done very different than this book. But I think that is a good thing to see several different approaches.

Thank you very much for your advice jedishrfu and micromass, I'll start on the Keisler book today.

Calculus doesn't tend to get mentioned much in England, is that because it's reserved for university or because we have a different way of covering the material? I have no idea. I'm sure it'll be very useful regardless.

Concerning the light reading, yes I suppose it's not really 'real' physics. It's somewhat like replacing chemistry with explosions, entertaining and appealing to a wide audience, but not very helpful.

Wakarimasen said:
Calculus doesn't tend to get mentioned much in England, is that because it's reserved for university or because we have a different way of covering the material?

Calculus is covered in A-level maths. When I was in school, calculus also was covered in the final year of high school, but I learned the basics of it on my own a couple of years before this.

Wakarimasen said:
Concerning the light reading, yes I suppose it's not really 'real' physics. It's somewhat like replacing chemistry with explosions, entertaining and appealing to a wide audience, but not very helpful.

I enjoy this type of "light reading"; I did in high school, and I still do.

Wakarimasen, a word of caution: before tackling calculus, be *very* comfortable with your algebra and trig. So many students here report that they "understand the concepts" but can't get good grades. Often it's because they can't solve the problems due to deficiencies in their algebra and trig.

micromass said:
If you want to learn real physics, then you should probably start studying with the math.

Yeah, I have to agree with Mm here, at the end of the day, it does come down to the math. Math is kind of the "street cred" of science. Take it for what you will, I didn't give it much importance when I was younger, but the inescapable conclusion is that if you want to be a scientist, you better know your maths.

FAQ: What should I read to get ahead?

1. What types of books should I read to get ahead?

The types of books you should read to get ahead depend on your goals and interests. If you want to improve your knowledge and skills in a specific field, read books related to that topic. If you want to develop your leadership or communication skills, read books on those subjects. It's also beneficial to read books on personal development and self-improvement.

2. How can reading help me get ahead?

Reading can provide you with valuable knowledge and insights that can help you succeed in your personal and professional life. It can also improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as expand your vocabulary and improve your communication skills. Reading can also inspire you and expose you to new ideas and perspectives.

3. Is it better to read physical books or e-books to get ahead?

Both physical books and e-books have their advantages. Physical books allow for a more tactile reading experience and can help with memory retention. E-books are convenient and easily accessible, and you can carry a whole library with you on a tablet or e-reader. Ultimately, the format of the book does not matter as long as you are actively engaged in the content.

4. How can I find time to read and get ahead in a busy schedule?

Finding time to read can be challenging, especially with a busy schedule. However, you can make time for reading by incorporating it into your daily routine. You can read during your commute, before bed, or during breaks throughout the day. It's also helpful to set aside dedicated reading time in your schedule and prioritize it as a necessary activity for personal and professional growth.

5. Can reading fiction books help me get ahead?

While non-fiction books are usually recommended for personal and professional development, reading fiction can also have its benefits. Fiction books can improve your creativity, imagination, and empathy. They can also provide valuable life lessons and insights into human behavior. It's essential to strike a balance between reading both non-fiction and fiction books to gain a well-rounded perspective and understanding of the world.