What should I study for eventual law/business?

• Thread starter Mr.B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's plans to attend UVA Engineering and pursue a double major in Physics. They are interested in a career in law or business and are considering different engineering majors, with Systems Engineering being their top choice due to its overlap with economics or mathematics, which would complement their physics major. They also mention their experience with robotics and receiving suggestions to consider Industrial Engineering for its connection to business.
Mr.B
I'm going to be an undergraduate at UVA Engineering starting next year.

Right now, I don't think I'll want to end up living as an engineer. I think I want to go into law, business, finance, or something in one of those general areas.

I'm fairly set on doing a double major in Physics (<3 physics).

My top choices for what to study in the Engineering school are:

-Systems Engineering - through this I would do a concentration in economics or mathematics. The former would be beneficial if I go into business or law or something, and the latter would make a physics double major easier.

-Electrical Engineering - easy to get a physics double major through this (overlapping requirements).

-Mechanical Engineering - this is my second year working on robotics in high school, so I have an idea of what I'd be getting into, and I like it.

Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to double major in engineering and physics to target a career in law or business... strange pairing there. Certainly seems like a complete waste to double major in undergrads that have little to do with your career goals.

I would just pick whatever engineering you think might interest you the most if you want to do IP/patent law, otherwise I would suggest Industrial Engineering because it is the closest to the business side of things of any engineering field.

Thanks for the input.

Systems is the closest we have to Industrial, and it's a lot of problem-solving and case study, which I think would be useful for law (I've talked to a few Systems Engineers there who are going into law).

FAQ: What should I study for eventual law/business?

1. What is the best major to study for a career in law or business?

The best major to study for a career in law or business depends on your personal interests and career goals. Some popular majors for those interested in law include political science, economics, and criminal justice. For those interested in business, common majors include finance, marketing, and accounting. It's important to choose a major that you are passionate about and that will provide you with valuable skills and knowledge for your desired career path.

2. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate major to go to law/business school?

No, you do not need to have a specific undergraduate major to go to law or business school. Admissions committees often look for a well-rounded academic background and strong critical thinking and communication skills. It is important to have a strong GPA and perform well on entrance exams such as the LSAT or GMAT.

3. What skills are important for a successful career in law or business?

Some important skills for a successful career in law or business include critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, and leadership. Having a strong understanding of the legal system and business principles is also essential. It is important to continuously develop and improve these skills throughout your academic and professional journey.

4. Should I pursue a graduate degree after completing my undergraduate studies?

Pursuing a graduate degree after completing your undergraduate studies is a personal decision and depends on your career goals. Some professions, such as law, often require a graduate degree for entry-level positions. Other business careers may benefit from a graduate degree, but it is not always necessary. It is important to research your desired career path and determine if a graduate degree is necessary for your goals.

5. What extracurricular activities should I participate in to prepare for a career in law or business?

Participating in extracurricular activities can help develop important skills and experiences for a career in law or business. Joining clubs or organizations related to your interests, such as a pre-law society or business club, can provide opportunities to network, gain leadership experience, and learn about the field. Additionally, internships or volunteer work in law or business settings can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you determine if this career path is right for you.