1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What should I study for eventual law/business?

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    I'm going to be an undergraduate at UVA Engineering starting next year.

Right now, I don't think I'll want to end up living as an engineer. I think I want to go into law, business, finance, or something in one of those general areas.

I'm fairly set on doing a double major in Physics (<3 physics).

My top choices for what to study in the Engineering school are:

-Systems Engineering - through this I would do a concentration in economics or mathematics. The former would be beneficial if I go into business or law or something, and the latter would make a physics double major easier.

-Electrical Engineering - easy to get a physics double major through this (overlapping requirements).

-Mechanical Engineering - this is my second year working on robotics in high school, so I have an idea of what I'd be getting into, and I like it.

Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2
    So you want to double major in engineering and physics to target a career in law or business... strange pairing there. Certainly seems like a complete waste to double major in undergrads that have little to do with your career goals.

I would just pick whatever engineering you think might interest you the most if you want to do IP/patent law, otherwise I would suggest Industrial Engineering because it is the closest to the business side of things of any engineering field.

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the input.

Systems is the closest we have to Industrial, and it's a lot of problem-solving and case study, which I think would be useful for law (I've talked to a few Systems Engineers there who are going into law).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook